"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Addict Joins The Gang

Started by Paul_Wainwright, February 27, 2014, 01:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Paul_Wainwright on February 28, 2014, 02:04:19 PM
I think it's a soft 'g', so "Stro-ger" (where the 'ger' is pronounced like the first syllable in "Germany") is how I say it.
Thanks for the help, Paul! It is much appreciated. I really hate to appear dumber than I already am. :o Trying to cut way back.

So, Stroe-jer it is, at least for present.

As regards WECO; you have given me much to think about. No revelations about their corporate operations; Grandpa was a lineman, starting just post WWI... older sis had 30+yr career with them too. Though I 'mighta' heard a story, or two, new ones  are always welcomed!

Apparently, I am now on an ePay/craigslist/etsy search mission for WECO toilet paper, lol!(Preferably NOS!!!) ;)

>click, scroll< ;D.....

Welcome, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Scotophor

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 28, 2014, 03:17:22 PM
Quote from: Paul_Wainwright on February 28, 2014, 02:04:19 PMI think it's a soft 'g', so "Stro-ger" (where the 'ger' is pronounced like the first syllable in "Germany") is how I say it.
Thanks for the help, Paul! It is much appreciated. I really hate to appear dumber than I already am. :o Trying to cut way back.

So, Stroe-jer it is, at least for present.
I'm in partial agreement, in that I believe "Strowger" rhymes with "stroker". However, though I hate to be contrary, IMO it should be pronounced with an unvoiced "g" as in "ogre".
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

G-Man

Quote from: Paul_Wainwright on February 28, 2014, 02:04:19 PM
I think it's a soft 'g', so "Stro-ger" (where the 'ger' is pronounced like the first syllable in "Germany") is how I say it.  However, my time at Bell Labs was waaaay after this technology was being worked on, so my only reference for this is a college buddy who had a summer job with an independent phone company in Erie PA in the late 1960's.

Another interesting item to all the WECO enthusiasts, as you probably know, the Bell System ran a very tight "closed loop" shop with their equipment.  They (pretty much) made everything themselves, except maybe for the toilet paper, although that was different from what you would buy in the supermarket, so maybe they made that too.  They installed it, ran it, and when its life was over, recycled it all in-house.  Their recycling subsidiary (at least in the northeast) was Nassau Smelting on Statin Island.  Consequently, I don't think I own a single piece of WECO equipment.  It's all mostly Automatic Electric.

If the Bell did not manufacture an item for their own use they contracted with an outside supplier for it to be built under a strict set of specifications and assigned it a number prefixed with KS-.

Stationary and other paper products including toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc, were also sourced by Western Electric under this same system though a KS- number was often omitted.

Also, if the supply was suddenly exhausted that old standby, the pages from a telephone directory was often pressed into service. Heck, there may even be a BSP devoted to that situation.

Doug Rose

I always thougtht it was pronounced Strohgrrr  as in GRRRRR I've been looking for a Strowger stick for so long. Stroh like the beer.....grrrr like a growl. Strohgrrr.

In Boston we say Strohgah....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 27, 2014, 06:13:47 PM
I always thougtht it was pronounced Strohgrrr  as in GRRRRR I've been looking for a Strowger stick for so long. Stroh like the beer.....grrrr like a growl. Strohgrrr.

In Boston we say Strohgah....Doug

This is how some "old timers" at the last phone show pronounced it.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI