News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 10 Button Business Sets

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, June 04, 2015, 11:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice, Paul! I've never seen or heard of a Call-A-Matic before. Both of those must certainly be rare! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is the result of my '64 1565, pretty good looking now! The housing is '77, handset is a replacement that happens to be dated '64, and the cord is a '73. The 760 is dated '77 as well, but it still looks nice!

Does anybody have a PDF scan of the button card for one of these?
Christian Petterson

Adam

Here are PDFs of two vintage number card sets I've used on some of my 6 button key phones.

Make sure to select "Scale 100%" when printing.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 11, 2015, 04:16:11 PM
BTW, does anybody have any idea why my 1565's HS cord strain relief 'slot' on the base is about an inch farther foreward than the housing notch? I can't even attach the HS cord to the slot; I have to use a coil in the cord as a strain relief.

If placed in the original H4CJ (hardwired) cord slot position, the 616D handset jack (or dummy adapter) wouldn't fit without lifting up the edge of the terminal board to accommodate it. So housings manufactured for modular handsets have the cutout further back than the original "mouse hole" position for hardwired cords. This allows the 616D to be moved back enough to "clear" the terminal board.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on June 12, 2015, 06:55:50 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 11, 2015, 04:16:11 PM
BTW, does anybody have any idea why my 1565's HS cord strain relief 'slot' on the base is about an inch farther foreward than the housing notch? I can't even attach the HS cord to the slot; I have to use a coil in the cord as a strain relief.

If placed in the original H4CJ (hardwired) cord slot position, the 616D handset jack (or dummy adapter) wouldn't fit without lifting up the edge of the terminal board to accommodate it. So housings manufactured for modular handsets have the cutout further back than the original "mouse hole" position for hardwired cords. This allows the 616D to be moved back enough to "clear" the terminal board.

Ah, I get it! Thanks for the explanation!

The two that are coming both have hardwired housings, so this won't be a problem for them!
Christian Petterson

Dave F

Quote from: paul-f on June 11, 2015, 05:32:41 PM
Here are two favorites. 

1671 Call A Matic

1623 Call Director removed from the first 1ESS installation in Succasunna NJ.

Great stuff, Paul!!

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Apparently, the original 25-pair cable is beige from '64, and was painted silver. It seems to be an original cord to the phone. Does anyone know what I can use to remove the paint? Goof Off works, but slowly and it takes the original beige with it.
Christian Petterson

ESalter

The beige underneath should be vinyl, so you shouldn't be able to remove it with anything.  I usually use denatured alcohol on an old rag to remove the silver paint off of cords like that.

WEBellSystemChristian

The 1565s are here, each in one piece as hoped...

They will need some work in order to convert them to 10 button. One of them has a '71 dated dial, with the full 'OPERATOR' on 0, while the other one has a later dial. The '71 can be converted without earlier buttons, but I would rather find a decent 10 button pad. I need one anyway for the other set, so what do you guys think? ???
Christian Petterson