News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Cutie" Phone from SoCal Show

Started by SunriseEarth, April 14, 2019, 04:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

I posted about my Galion phone find, but the other phone that I picked up was the "Cutie" phone.   These were marketed under a few different names.   Mine in particular was the TeleConcepts "Countess" model.

It is very small.   It fact, it has a buzzer or clicker type ringer as there really isn't room for a bell in the phone.  It sounds like my Grillo phone when ringing.

The main issue with my phone is particular is that the receiver seems to be going out.   It is very quiet.  I tried placing a U1 receiver in it to test (it's too big, just to give you an idea of the size) and it worked fine.   i'm not sure where I can source a receiver for this phone.   The markings on it indicated "UR-60" (and the transmitter is UT-60), but I can't really find anything doing a web search.

Anyway, it's a cute addition to my collection and hopefully I can it properly working soon.
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

KaiserFrazer67

Is there any chance you could put a modern replacement receiver in it, instead of a NOS one?  I would think they shouldn't be too hard to find.  Maybe get a newer landline phone at a thrift shop, and "cannibalize" the handset for the receiver element.
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

SunriseEarth

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on April 14, 2019, 09:40:59 PM
Is there any chance you could put a modern replacement receiver in it, instead of a NOS one?  I would think they shouldn't be too hard to find.  Maybe get a newer landline phone at a thrift shop, and "cannibalize" the handset for the receiver element.

Possibly, but I need to find something small enough.  The receiver element is about 1.5" (or 38 mm) across.
Tony Stokes

Jim Stettler

Those cutie phones are a bit fragile. I have seen them as  parts phones free or cheap at shows. That may be your best bet to get an element.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

There was a short discussion about these phones here five years ago: forum link.  I am still in the market for a dial center for mine.

Larry

markosjal

Quote from: SunriseEarth on April 14, 2019, 10:36:25 PM
Possibly, but I need to find something small enough.  The receiver element is about 1.5" (or 38 mm) across.

Something like these?

I cannabalize units like these out of newer junk phone handsets . They fit in cases where nothing else does.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-SD-150-receiver-Handset-Telephone-speaker-Transmitter-Mono-SD-38/323796158204?hash=item4b63c146fc:g:WWEAAOSwiNBcy8AB
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

SunriseEarth

Quote from: markosjal on August 20, 2019, 01:45:42 PM
Something like these?

I cannabalize units like these out of newer junk phone handsets . They fit in cases where nothing else does.

Yes, but I was trying to find something with screw terminals so I don't have to solder.   

I did get a lead from a manufacturer.   I'm ordering a "sample" receiver from them, so we'll see if that works!
Tony Stokes

Babybearjs

I found one of these once, just passed it on to an antique dealer. Radio Shack used to sell them... Garbage in my opinion.... another Asian import and not worth the time.
John

Key2871

When I first started collecting my wife would see these things, and those marble pedestal phones, you know with the cheap handset and hanger.. I just walked by, because unless it was something that you didn't see everyday, I just wanted Western sets. Unless it was unusual and possibly rare or really cool looking.
But again this is in the eye of the beholder, it's what that person sees, and says, oh I like that..
KEN

Babybearjs

John