News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Poor ebay packaging job

Started by guitar1580, January 15, 2020, 07:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormcrash

To remove the faceplate you have to push up on the little plastic retainer tab on the top until it's in the phone body and lets go of the plate. You can use a finger or gently with the tip of a flat blade screwdriver. As long as you don't push down too hard you won't scrape up the plate. I can usually get it off just using a finger but usually need the shaft/blade of the screwdriver to hold it out of the way while putting the plate back on

david@london

Guitar,
is it this part you are asking about?

guitar1580

Yes David, that's it.  On the AE80E

I was just typing a reply saying,  "I already got the face plate off and on with just my fingers. 

I guess I don't know exactly what it's called.   The little cover under the finger grip, that you have to take off to get the plungers to drop out.  I may be able to pry it out with a screwdriver, but wondered if there's a trick to it."

Josh

FABphones

I misunderstand which part, and which phone.
If needed, this thread should help:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?&topic=23292
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

guitar1580

Thanks FAB, a little closer.  Yes, that's my thread about the Western Electric.  W/E had gone to the cover that snaps in with no screw.

Now I'm dealing with the AE80E.  Same cover.  At some point they must have used a snap in cover too.

So what I just now did -  I was in there prying at it, and it does not easily want to come off.  So what I did was bend the plunger stops over a little with my thumb, since the plastic is thin there, and was able to grab the plunger and pull it out WITHOUT having to remover the cover plate.

I really mostly do this when I disassemble a phone to clean and polish.  I use my wax on the phone and plungers, and also on the plunger holes with a Q tip, and it just helps to clean & polish the holes so the plungers slide easily.  I've seen some stick from built up crud.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm still new to the AE world.  I'm sure someone will have run into one of these covers, but at this point, I can finish cleaning the phone without removing it.

Josh

guitar1580

Ok, here it is folks.  I snapped a quick pic in case it may help someone in the future if they run into a stubborn AE cover.

The red arrow shows the spot where there would normally be a screw.  You can see the L shaped stop by the yellow arrow just catches the edge of the plunger.  You only really have to flex it inward a small amount to remove or replace the plunger.

I don't think this would be possible on a Western Electric 500 without removing the cover.

guitar1580

I thought I'd update and show the phone that survived the bare box / foam sheet packaging, after a good cleaning. 

I polished out some small scratches and got the dial working nicely.  It's not perfect, but it functions very well, and I like it.  I just got some new AE dial centers in the mail.  I may laminate one and glue it on with some non permanent glue.  I don't really see another way to cover the center.

I threw in the bottom pic with some guitars in the background for those who may have an appreciation for musical instruments.

Stormcrash

Looks like it cleaned up nicely! You could also try a bit of double sided tape to hold down your laminated number card. I tried that a bit with some homemade cards I laminated using packing tape. Might leave less cleaning than glue if you decide to remove it

guitar1580

Thank you Storm, that sounds like a good idea.  I was going to try to find something mild, like a glue stick or something that does not melt into the plastic.  Gotta be careful, even some of the craft glues can be hard to get off of plastic.

See, that's why I come here to ask.  You guys always have great suggestions ... and I do appreciate it very much.

MMikeJBenN27

This is not E-Bay's failure, it is the SELLER'S failure.  I sell a lot of phones through E-Bay, but I pack them well and ship it with "Special Handling".  They put "Fragile" stickers on the box.  It costs an extra $12.00, but that is better than having to refund them the price of the phone.  I also do not try to profit on shipping charges.  If it costs $19.00 to ship it, I will not try to charge $25.00 for shipping.

guitar1580

Yes, of course it's the seller's fault, and not ebay's.  I wrote the title that way because I purchased it through ebay, and this is the ebay chat section.
Glad to hear of your shipping policy.  Too bad more don't realize that phones are fragile, even though they are durable.