News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE, or about any Common Batt phone

Started by RB, September 28, 2017, 12:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have what I think is a WE , or AE CB phone. goin from memory.
My problem : it has G,R, and Y wires coming out of it.
When I connect the g and r across my 555 cord set, I can only hear clicks when the S coil locks on. no voice.???
My question is, if I short the yellow to the green, or red, will that damage anything?
I ask because I tried it, and it worked briefly, then back to just clicks. I don't know why it behaved that way.
I know I need to fix the wires inside the phone, so it has only 2 wires coming out of it. and I will do that.
I mainly need to know if I damaged anything in the phone, or the cord set?
Thank you.

trainman

Are you using a phone with an internal network, like a 302, or are you using a phone that needs a subset, like a D mount or candlestick?

If the phone has an internal network, the yellow is just ground, and used for the ringer, if it was set up for grounded ringing. If you need a subset, then yellow, red, green go to subset.

I assume you just have a 555 cord unit you are experimenting with?

Do you have talk battery connected to it? And are you using two phones? One connected to each cord if you are trying to hear voice? You wont with one phone, unless you have the attentendents cord circuit and handset connected to it.

RB

Hi Trainman... yup, its just a plain desk phone.
I do have a single 555 cord set I am working on. slowly figuring it out.
I am using a 24 volt DC power supply, and yes, two phones.
one works fine, the second, the one in question, not so good.
When I connect the left cord to the phone, and lift the handset, the S relay closes, and I can hear my own voice in the rec. I guess it is getting battery at that point? but thats it for that one. the second, or Right cord, just clicks when hand set picked up, but I cannot hear my own voice in the rec.
I have the schematic, and have bypassed the op set, "which I do not have". so I can test for through voice. left to right cords.
There is a lot of stuff missing according to the schematic, but I am workin through that ok. And I don't need everything anyway.
There are "it seems", a few options that could be implemented, or not with these cord sets. that makes translating things like " to fig h, j, or k" for example, harder to figure out, but that will come too.
Thanks for your help!

trainman

Those Fig J K were how things were wired using various options that were wired into each individual switchboard.

I suspect your second phone may be defective.

One thing i ran into while trouble shooting my own 555 switchboard was this. I had some cord units where i couldnt hear plugged into certain extensions, or the supervisory lights didnt work as they should.  It turned out to be dirty contacts on the ringing keys.  If you follow the print, you can see that parts of the circuit go through the ringing keys then reach the cord tips. Cleaning them a couple times cured my problems.

trainman

There is a BSP starting with 809 and it is in the link that Harry sent with his 555 google drive files. That one basically lists some options and going throgh the SD prints they also list the options and wiring arrangements on each board.

I dont know if Fig J or k make a difference in your testing, but it wouldnt hurt to use clip leads and wire them up and see if it changes anyrhing. Im not looking at the print, so i cant say.

RB

Thank you for the info Trainman!
I have a few clip leads in place already.
I have to bypass the op set, as I do not have one...yet.
slowly figuring out what it all means, and what parts I need, and do not need.
I will go through the ring switches, already gone through the talk switches, and the exposed switches on the relays.
found a few burned contacts, assume they are Batt contacts? cleaned and adjusted, and moving forward. :D

trainman

I still think one of your phones is defective. I dont see why it shouldnt work for what you are trying to do.

I had acually thought of making a similar set up just to test my cord units. Now i just might try it, to see if it works.

trainman

Of the info on that link Harry sent, refer to CD 66520. That is the description of the 555 board and its operation.

SD 66520 is the schematics.

RB

Quote from: trainman on September 29, 2017, 01:16:53 PM
I still think one of your phones is defective. I dont see why it shouldnt work for what you are trying to do.

I think you are right, the dial sticks too, I have not serviced it yet, just tried to use it . I will chk it out this weekend, and post update on Monday.

Thanks again.

trainman

Another thing you will need to do, is mock up the station line circuit. You can ignore the indicator light. The cord sleeve of the cord plug will need ground, to activate the relays on the cord unit.

You dont need to bypass the attendents telephone unit. You can just ignore everything going up to the attentends circuit or the dial on the schematic.  Just make sure the talk and dial switch on the cord unit  is pulled out and in the normal, or UP position. By turning the switch to the right, is how you patch in the attendents phone. And pushing the switch in, just gives control of the relays on the board to the central office, if you had this connected to the outside world. If you didnt push this in, the board would never disconnect when you hung up on a central office trunk.

trainman

RB

Hey, Trainman...and all others interested...
Good progress over the weekend!  :)
I was able to get the two phones to talk to each other back to back with  a 9 volt and a 300 ohm resister in series with the Ring side.
I also got them to talk through the cord set. in talk, and not talk... what is the term for that anyway?
The volume was attenuated in talk mode, but worked.
I built two station jacks based on the 620-400 doc on the 555.
I cannot, however, get the cord set to provide through power.
That is, most relays work, but the lights do not come on. I have tested them, and they do work.
And, the phones both get power.
This cord set was banged around some, and I had to fix a few problems before it would do anything.
I cannot get all of the relays to function. some do, but S, and CS do not. T works when you pick up a station handset.
Here are some pics of the line jacks, and the page I am working from.
The cord set seems to provide power, "24 vdc in this case", across the T and R lines? and both phones get power, 'you can hear yourself", but not each other. But, the quick method using a battery and resister, apply power in series with the Ring line. and you can hear each other.
What am I missing with the power application?

trainman

You need to have ground on the right cord sleeve to activate the S relay. The cord sleeve is the bottom part of the plug.

RB

Quote from: trainman on October 02, 2017, 02:58:10 PM
You need to have ground on the right cord sleeve to activate the S relay. The cord sleeve is the bottom part of the plug.
yup, got that. but no effect. will look closer tonight.