News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE - 31 b Two Line Monophone automatic ( cat# AA -22 )

Started by stub, November 13, 2009, 01:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi all ,  I finally got a good one off e-bay.  This phone came to me with the wrong  handset , 41, and it caused the cradle to bust in 3 big pieces , the busted ones are all I can afford.  I had a spare 38 handset and a cradle to complete this phone. I hope this doesn't make this a frankenphone!!! I still have alot of clean up to do but at least the phone is fully functional now.  Maybe  I can send pics when done, if I don't forget.  Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Sorry your phone arrived in pieces.  I've had 4 phones shipped to me, fortunately unscathed, in spite of at least one in rather skimpy packing (a few sheets of newspaper).  But I instructed all of them when I paid to wrap the handset separately and place it beside the phone, NOT on the cradle.  They all complied with that part of the instructions.  Now I'll also be sure to tell them to put padding all around, including underneath.  The newspaper wrapped phone had no padding underneath, but still got here ok from the other side of the country (West Virginia to Seattle).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Not being much of an early AE follower, I am having trouble understanding.  Is the photo after you replaced the cradle or before?

-Bill G

stub

Phonesrfun,
       After , broken is the way I bought it .  Broken and busted is about  all I can afford. Nice phone now , works great!!!!! Just have to fine time to  remove the 11 cond. cord ,both ends, and finsh the cleanup . Boy that's a lot of cord stuffed  in that small phone!!! Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Brinybay,
      I bought this one broken. I've had my share of phones packed the way you showed in pic. Most of my problem is from west to east shipping. The post office can't seem to get it over the mountain without playing football with my packages.  Have you finished that 183 ?  
      I have to go now ,to look for new phones.  Hey Sean , I hope you left a few phones around your town . I'll be looking for whatever you might have missed today.  Everybody have a good day.   Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on November 13, 2009, 09:47:29 AM
Brinybay,
       I bought this one broken. I've had my share of phones packed the way you showed in pic. Most of my problem is from west to east shipping. The post office can't seem to get it over the mountain without playing football with my packages.  Have you finished that 183 ? 
       I have to go no ,to look for new phones.  Hey Sean , I hope you left a few phones around your town . I'll be looking for whatever you might have missed today.  Everybody have a good day.   Stub

Glad you asked about the 183, also thanks for building a fire under my butt about it.  I'll post pics later under my old thread.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay ,
            That's ok . I have a 1908 AE wood wall phone in pieces on my desk that  I need to be working on. Just seems like my get up and go , got up and went!!  Looking forward to 183 pics.  Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Sean

Good looking phone. I have rarely seen this one. The cutaway fingerwheel is nice and I've never seen a two line version of this phone. Looks like a beauty to restore! You're already on your way!

I haven't found a good way to remove the black paint from the brass cylinders on the handset. You could touch them up and get them back to black.

Here's to a beauty in the re-making!

Sean
Yep... I am an AE 35/50 and 34/40 nut.

Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric!
AE CO, AE CO, AE CO!
Monophone, Monophone, Monophone!

All hail King Almon Strowger!

McHeath

Broken and busted is way cheaper a lot of the time eh? 

This is a new phone to me, never seen one before.  Nice look, and it should be a very good one to polish up.

stub

Sean,
  I've looked a long time for this phone , late night e-bay, and  finally got real luckly.  I think I like  AE as much as you do. Hey I'm going to your town tomorrow and I might get a chance to look for some phones while my wife shops. Hope you left a few here and there.
  When I try to remove the paint on the bands I just soak a day or two in lacquer thinner works fairly well for me . When it is too rough you would be surprised  what a  gentle touch with a sand blaster will do.  Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

McHeath,
          This phone should clean up pretty good ,but that is a lot of cord going to the subset and into that small base. ( 11 cond .  ) That should be fun with colors fading.  Thanks .  Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Sean

Stub,

Already looks like we're shopping for the same fixer uppers at the same store! Glad you're after em too. There are just too many phones for any of us to monopolize them.
Yep... I am an AE 35/50 and 34/40 nut.

Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric!
AE CO, AE CO, AE CO!
Monophone, Monophone, Monophone!

All hail King Almon Strowger!