News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1953 500 with Dial Blank

Started by MagicMo, June 15, 2013, 04:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I do not know much about a phone with the dial blank. What were they used for? What kind of Dial blank is on this phone? Did it originally come from the factory as a dial blank phone? All dates match to 1-53 on this phone. It looks like it was refurbished in 1955 and taken out of service since then. I am assuming that because it is such good shape aesthetically.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

southernphoneman

Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 04:07:04 PM
I do not know much about a phone with the dial blank. What were they used for? What kind of Dial blank is on this phone? Did it originally come from the factory as a dial blank phone? All dates match to 1-53 on this phone. It looks like it was refurbished in 1955 and taken out of service since then. I am assuming that because it is such good shape aesthetically.
Thanks
Mo
it is called a manuel 500(dialess). the dial blank covers up where the dial would normally go, and a 500 hundred can be converted over to a manuel easily.with dial assembly being removed the circuitry is bypassed.

Adam

Um... no offense, but that's "manual" (the opposite of automatic).

Yes, they did come come from the factory that way.  That is the meaning of the "C/D" marking on the bottom of the phone.  The bases were manufactured to be equipped in the factory with a dial or without.  The model number for a manual set was 500C, the model number for a set with a dial was 500D.

Manual sets were most commonly used in telephone central offices that had not yet been converted to dial service, so a dial on the set was not needed.  In manual offices, to make a call you would just lift the receiver, and a live operator would answer.  You'd tell her what number you wanted and she'd place the call.

Less commonly, manual sets could be used in places, like in a business, where the customer wanted "answer only" capability, like in a service desk, or a customer courtesy phone.

Very nice set, by the way!  :-)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

twocvbloke

Quote from: Adam on June 15, 2013, 05:49:57 PM
Less commonly, manual sets could be used in places, like in a business, where the customer wanted "answer only" capability, like in a service desk, or a customer courtesy phone.

And very handy for when you don't want anyone using your phone for dialling up expensive numbers, giving you a huge phonebill while they get off scot free... :D

WesternElectricBen

If you have ever watched the old oceans 11 you would know they were used in hotels.

poplar1

500Cs were also used behind 555 PBXs (cord switchboards) in businesses, even in dial areas. The attendant (switchboard operator) would answer incoming calls then transfer them to the manual phones. Calls to other people within the office and outgoing calls also had to be completed by the attendant.

Some businesses leased manual phones behind a 555 from the phone company, then had a second dial phone on each desk which was connected to an in-house dial system owned by the customer. Except in government locations, these customer-owned phones could not connect to the outside; so you needed two phones to make both inside (dialed by the user, without the attendant)  and outside (completed by the attendant) calls.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

For some background and evolution of 500-series apparatus blanks, look here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/500blanks.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Is this another one of your Dad's phones?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

Quote from: Brinybay on June 15, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

Hi Briny,
Yes, if you look back when I was looking through the attic, you'll see the pic if it. I just added the dial card. I was going to eBay it but while I was taking pictures of it I fell in love. So it will stay.
Mo

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 09:25:46 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on June 15, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

Hi Briny,
Yes, if you look back when I was looking through the attic, you'll see the pic if it. I just added the dial card. I was going to eBay it but while I was taking pictures of it I feel in love. So it will stay.
Mo

Mo, unless you find a payphone put that on the entry table so guests won't be using your phone. lol
Ben

MagicMo

I have six payphones. Now what? LOL

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 11:34:42 PM
I have six payphones. Now what? LOL

One pay phone at the street, 1 in the entry, 1 in the guest room and sell the rest!

TelePlay

Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 09:25:46 PM. . . while I was taking pictures of it I feel in love. So it will stay.

That would be symptom #7 or #8 in the AMA handbook diagnosis of Phoneitis, right?  ???

MagicMo

Quote from: TelePlay on June 16, 2013, 01:05:00 AM
Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 09:25:46 PM. . . while I was taking pictures of it I feel in love. So it will stay.

That would be symptom #7 or #8 in the AMA handbook diagnosis of Phoneitis, right?  ???

I'm felling in love with all phones!!  (Falling... Duh!)
I already changed my mind on 3 phones this week, I want to keep them. So what do I do now?? Is there a phone Dr. I could go see? I probably have ALL the symptoms!
Mo

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on June 16, 2013, 02:06:44 AM

I'm felling in love with all phones!!  (Falling... Duh!)
Mo
That is so funny! I remember thinking when you started on CRPF, what a shame it was that you didn't share our interest in phones! And that you couldn't enjoy your father's incredible collection other than by selling it off! What a wonderful thing that you now are seeing it as no doubt he did, as an incredible rich history, well worth keeping, and loving, and coddling! I am so happy about that!

Well, they talk about bag ladies, etc. You're a phone lady now, Maureen!  There is a real beauty to old phones, and they truly are a disappearing treasure. Thank goodness there are nuts like us, and you, who Serve and Protect them!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001