News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ma Bell Company?

Started by HarrySmith, May 11, 2020, 12:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I have heard The Bell System called Ma Bell, of course, but I never heard of The Ma Bell Company. Have you?
Old shovel on eBay marked as such. I do not think it is actually Western Electric as the seller states.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antique-Ma-Bell-system-telephone-SHOVEL-Alexander-Graham-Western-Electric/233584882141
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: Key2871 on May 11, 2020, 01:12:18 PM
I wonder if it's short for Massachusetts bell.
In St Louis? Looks like the top Line is MABEO Brand. My guess is no relation to Bell Systems....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Actually top line is MABCO = Ma Bell Co.
Strange?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 11, 2020, 01:15:19 PM
In St Louis? Looks like the top Line is MABEO Brand. My guess is no relation to Bell Systems....Doug

. . . the top Line is MABCO . . .

"217 Lombard Street, St. Louis, Missouri: According to an EPA database compiled from W.R. Grace shipping invoices, 0.5 tons of vermiculite ore from the Libby mine were shipped to this site in May 1979. At the time of EPA's visit, a company called BPM operated at the site and produced the same products that had been produced by the M.A. Bell Company--foundry and metal casting products. M.A. Bell began operations at the site in 1929. According to the BPM plant manager, BPM had never expanded (exfoliated) vermiculite ore at the facility. BPM did produce a product that contains vermiculite. EPA saw an invoice that indicated BPM received the vermiculite ore it used from Strong-Lite Products in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. (This facility is listed separately in this database.) EPA determined no further action was needed."

Whitcrane76

I say not related. I've got a 1920s-1930s shovel, they were stamped Bell System.  The company brand (Wyoming Red Edge) is stamped on the back.