News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there a better way to hide line cords?

Started by FABphones, May 02, 2018, 06:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I've recently finished building myself a new display unit, am putting the phones into their various pigeon holes but am keen to know if you guys have any neat way of hiding the line cords on your displays? I coil them but it's not good enough, is there a better way short of not having any (as I do use my phones).
Thanks.

(Edited due to typo)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

Remove the cords or drill a hole thru the back of the display and run the cords behind your display.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

I use them so need line cords (although I agree, for display purposes they would look much better without). And the unit has no back. The bloomin things sometimes partially drop down, and adding a back would spoil the look of this unit.

Thanks for the reply.

*Pic now added below.

jsowers

You can let them dangle down the back behind the shelf, but coil them up to look neat. Or you could put a small trough on the back of the shelf for cord management and lay them in the trough. I like to have mounting cords on my phones too. For the 500U and 500P phones I like to have them plugged into an adapter so the light can be lit when the handset is lifted.

There is something called wireloom that can handle multiple wires and hide them behind the shelf. Below is a picture of one.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/black-wire-looms-40-2929?gclid=CjwKCAjww6XXBRByEiwAM-ZUIP83JkdFnN0vMmrLvllR8sZgExAFgDC4ZnHGMOHe-XoNjRYfvRri0RoCaA0QAvD_BwE
Jonathan

FABphones

Thanks for the ideas. Appreciated.
I will look into adding some cable management.  :)

twocvbloke

I have a simple way of dealing with the cables, I just don't give a hoot...  ;D

Got so many wires, cables and things around the place that a neat & tidy phone display would look too out of place... ;D

FABphones

The long cords on the Mother in Law's listeners don't help, but I have some ideas to work with now.  :)

HarrySmith

If the phones are for dispaly only, not being used or connected, you can coil the cord and store it inside the phone. It is a little tricky getting it in the right place but it will fit as long as you do not have a 25 foot line cord!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

I'll remember that, thanks Harry.

Here is a pic of my creation. I've always wanted a GPO pigeon hole style display. So I used whatever I could find in the wood shed, based my design on that idea and made this. It is very heavy. Still a few finishing touches needed before I load it up. I was just trying it out for size in this pic and I've tried to hide the line cords behind the phones. The cords vary - some are long, some attached to the larger French RJ11 plugs (and these with their M.I.L. cords too), and some are the combined straight/curly type. I even have a couple of line cords still attached to GPO 420's which I had forgotton.

( One unit definitely not enough, the shelves are still full. I will have to get back in that wood shed and see what else I can find - or pinch the chickens nest boxes....   ;D )

Key2871

If I had limited space, like that, I'd just remove the cords.
I made a 4' wide almost book shelf, to display my 500' s, and 702's. At first the cords were just all over the place and didn't look very neat. So I bagged each cord and just kept them in a box for safe keeping. I never wound them up, because I found it wasn't good for the cords. I carefully turned them in coils, much like they did in the package from the factory.
KEN

Owain

If the top unit is spaced away from the wall slightly you could run some slotted lid trunking down the back face of the two centre verticals

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/betaduct-open-slot-trunking/PG0104

Then the line cord goes into the nearest vertical and drops down to below the base unit, where it can be plugged in to a multiway extension from the house PABX for demonstration purposes.

RB

There is a smaller version, we call Clam shell. ;)
It has tape on the back, and folds over, and snaps shut.
It is very low profile, and would not be noticed on the back, or under the shelves.
sorry, no pic

FABphones

Thanks to all. Looks like I'm due a visit to the DIY store.   :)