News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An eBay Sellers Dream

Started by Dennis Markham, December 14, 2009, 10:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I saw this on eBay tonight.  Rather than just put a link that will disappear I took some screen shots of the listing, including the bid history.  The rookie and not-so-rookie had it out.  Most of the bids happened today.

It's a refurbished model 500.  Another example of a "1953" phone that is actually made of parts from all over the board.

And the winner is..............The Rookie!

Here is the listing to view until eBay remove it:

http://tinyurl.com/yaofvs5 ( dead link 08-09-21 )

LarryInMichigan

Gee, I paid $13 several weeks ago for my 2/53 500 which had all original 1953 parts.  I guess the difference is that mine didn't come with a box ;)

Larry

bingster

I can understand  the "1" feedback bidder but what about the "128" bidder?  You'd think a person with even that amount of feedback would know better, but perhaps it's somebody with no phone experience.  And it's not even a case of one person placing a high bid and the other trying to top it--these two were fighting it out for an hour for the privilege of taking the mongrel home.  PT Barnum was right.

And a quick lesson for the rookies:  This phone has a tell-tale sign of a refurb on the bottom.  It's the residue of a refurb sticker that was placed over top the original date.  The sticker is missing, but the adhesive remains.  The stickers were only used in the 1970s, so there's your refurb date.  I'm sure others have different opinions, but to my mind, a phone dates to it's last refurb.  It's not a 1953, it's a 1970-something.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Up until a couple years ago, they would have the bidders contact info posted. I would write and ask questions when stupid things like that would happen.
The one that gets me, is when a seller has a number of the same items for auction, and instead of waiting on the next item, people will battle it out and drive the price up on each item. I would contact all losing bidders and suggest we take turns winning an iytem one at a time, I think these Are the reasons ebay stopped listing the contact info.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Gee, wish I'd sold that 53' 500, that was a tidy sum for a rather ordinary phone.  (with late model box)

Maybe the two bidders were after a birthday phone or such, perhaps it was going to be a Christmas present even.  Either way, they both were willing to spend a lot on a phone that is unremarkable.

gpo706

Crazy, as you say maybe a birthday phone, or a birthday phone for all the family, maybe all the parts correspond to relations birthdays!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Bill Cahill

That's insane!
Reminds me that last night I almost bought a album of 78's to get one title.
It was somewhat high priced at 14.95 starting bid. But, what killed it is they wanted 26.95 to ship it media mail! :o
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."