News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green "Mushroom" - 500/U

Started by Dennis Markham, March 22, 2009, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I just wanted to point out to the members that this 500 U telephone in green, which will be ending soon has a replacement dial.
http://tinyurl.com/cgr5gu

Note the photos showing the more brightly colored leads (which are vinyl covered wires as opposed to the early cloth wires).  Actually the photos reveal a view shots of what appears to be a 9C.  Just FYI since it's up over $200 now and will probably go higher.  It can easily be brought back to original with the proper 7 series dial but will also need a compatible dial ring.

Bill Cahill

Hmmm. Doesn't even look like the light is even wired.
Bill Cahill  ???

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Bill, there is a terminal strip that runs along the base under the dial.  It is difficult to see from the photos what wires come/go from where. 

bingster

And it came in at $450!  I knew they were rare, but I had no idea they were that sought after.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

That's the same buyer that buys up the good stuff.   He bought the clear 302 too....and a clear trimline......deep pockets.  eBay handle oldphoneguy55.  One can go to Advanced Search and put in that name...checked completed listings...feedback number is the same....Guess he didn't have a green one.

bingster

http://oldphoneguy.net/

Same guy?  I've had the site saved for a while and the username rang a bell.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

No Bingster, I don't think so.

AET

Wish I had the money for a nice mushroom phone!  Here's hoping I find one for a buck while garage sailing this year!!
- Tom

McHeath

Today I found a rose beige 500U in soft plastic with a grey fat handset cord at a garage sale for $5!!!!!!!! ;D

Oh, wait, then I woke up. :-\

Dennis Markham

Hey, just remember that lady that found the clear 302 at a rummage sale...and got $2,800 for it!

AET

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?  I know that the idea's far fetched, but I didn't think I'd talk the guy down from 50 to 5 bucks for my Silvertone radio either!
- Tom

BDM

Make no mistake, deals can be found. Especially if you live near a large old city like Detroit. You just have to get up extra early, and hit those garage sales, and estate sales. Time and time again, don't miss a weekend! Also, watch craigslist. Deals do show up. Like the nice pink soft plastic 500 I bought for a whopping $10.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI