News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 Annoyance

Started by bingster, January 15, 2009, 07:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I really like 500s.  That's not much of a revelation, because quite a few of us are fond of them.  But there's always been one thing that I just can't stand, and it has to do with the receiver element.  I remember the TT desk and wall phone we had at home when I was a kid did this, and both my 500s do it, too.  I had completely forgotten it until about a week ago when I hooked up my white 500 beside me in the living room. 

What am I complaining about?  The fact that the vapor barrier in the receiver element is so thin that it crackles when you press the handset against your ear.  To tell the truth, I can't imagine that annoying little problem going on for as long as it apparently did, with nothing being done about it. 

I'm wondering if punching a hole in the barrier would stop the problem.  Anybody think that would negatively affect the function of the element?  Or does anybody have any other ideas to remedy the problem?  Does this bother anybody else, or am I all alone on this?

= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I've never noticed that before.  I just tried a couple of the phones in my office and I don't hear the sound you're talking about.  As far as putting a small hole in the barrier I'll bet that would allow for the air to pass through but probably moisture as well.  I have noticed that some of the barriers are tighter than others..maybe from years of moving in and out during use--temperature change, etc.

Steve

I know the sound, but I never realized thats what it was. I have 4 500 series phones, but only my 554 is doing it. I can make the sound by briskly shaking the handset as well.

I remember this sound from growing up too,  from our 554 in the kitchen.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

Maybe I just have oddly shaped ears that create a vacuum in the receiver cap. :-\
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Maybe the 500 is interfering with the microchip in your brain?  :-\
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 15, 2009, 09:53:25 PM
Maybe the 500 is interfering with the microchip in your brain?  :-\

does it mean bingster is being controlled by a 500?? ahehe ;D