News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Centurion Payphone Questions

Started by finkmac, March 27, 2016, 03:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finkmac

I recently found someone selling an NT Centurion, and I'm debating the purchase.

This one includes the backing mount and plastic cover, but doesn't have keys.

Here are some pictures I was sent.

(I'll upload those images to the forum upon request)

As shown, there are two locks. Is it possible to pick these?

From what I understand, as this is a Canadian phone, it won't work with the Coin Line simulators (like the ones for asterisk) because the tones are different, any way around that?

Does anybody have any Hi-Res scans of the instruction cards?

Lastly, if there's anybody in the Toronto (Ontario) area with payphones lying around, I'm looking for one (in case this one falls through)

Thanks!
NT Northern Telecom

I own a couple of Centurions. These phones are easy to hook up for home use. I have one hooked up in the garage.  The other one I have is going to be used in the phone booth I bought last year. You will need to get a T- Key for the phone. As shown in the picture. You can get the T-key from Oldphoneworks, They are located in Kingston. I have attached the link for you. I do have some hi-res scans of the instruction cards. I'm just two hours from Toronto, I'm in Belleville. I also have a couple of pdf files with the wiring diagram and a sales brochure.

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/

poplar1

Stan S. can further comment on his coin line simulators. However, they apparently detect presence of coin(s), rather than any tones. So they should work with Centurions.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

finkmac

Autonut, that's a nice booth you have there! They're still pretty common around Toronto, but with newer logos of course.
Where did you get yours?

I'm mostly worried about the actual locks (not the T-Key locks), I'm wondering if anybody has had any success picking them?

Quote from: poplar1 on March 28, 2016, 11:17:02 AM
Stan S. can further comment on his coin line simulators. However, they apparently detect presence of coin(s), rather than any tones. So they should work with Centurions.

Does this mean it's not possible to redbox phreak a centurion?

I'm confused about postpay vs semipostpay vs prepay. From what I understand, Prepay means you have to pay before you hear dialtone (like the three-slot phones I guess), and postpay means you pay after you hear the dialtone (like the WE 1D series). What is semi-postpay then?
NT Northern Telecom

xhausted110

Prepay is when you get a dial tone after a coin deposit. Dial tone first is when you get a dial tone first, and you can dial toll-free, operator or 911, but can't call anything else without paying. A post pay phone cuts off your mouthpiece or earpiece (or both) when it detects an answer/polarity reversal, and reconnects them when you pay. Not sure about semi post-pay, that might be when you get a second dial tone after the party answers, and you pay then. Stan S. or Phil McCarter would know.
- Evan

Quote from: finkmac on March 28, 2016, 02:07:32 PM
Autonut, that's a nice booth you have there! They're still pretty common around Toronto, but with newer logos of course.
Where did you get yours?

I'm mostly worried about the actual locks (not the T-Key locks), I'm wondering if anybody has had any success picking them?

Thanks, I picked mine up in Stratford from a fellow who had it in his backyard for his kids to play with, the kids got older and he sold it to me. It is a 1991 model. They are still common around here as well. My other booth is a wooden one from the 40's - 50's I'm restoring, It's stripped now. I'll start back at it once the weather gets better. Picture is of how I bought it.

My phones didn't have the extra locks. I do have extra cash boxes for them, if that one doesn't have one.