News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

It's a D something, but what?

Started by TelePlay, December 10, 2011, 08:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I have this 102/202 deskset with an unusual, at least to me, marking on it. Anyone ever see a D=1 with the "=" crossing out something that looks like a "0" or a "5" or "6?" I can't quite make out was is under the "=", even under high magnification. Is this rare or if not, what was the purpose and what was the original marking?

paul-f

It appears to be a D6 that was changed to a D1 during refurb.

The Bell System was noted for recycling phones taken out of service.

The D6 was used in the 102 and 203 sets for 4-party line service, so it's reasonable that it was repurposed to a single line set.

IMHO, it's an interesting collectible.  It would also be interesting if it was still a D6.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Thanks for the info.

The interior is wired like a 102/202 with the exception of the dial which is a 6A3 dated 10-70. I don't know what a D6 would look like so to me this is a 102/202. The base does have a II 36 in red paint on the right side of photo 1.

This phone also has a newer coiled handset cord, a modern round grey line cord and an F1 handset with a newer transmitter element fitted with an adapter.

I think this phone was used as a movie/theater prop and was equipped with a RC cheater subset, third photo below. I want to use it for a theatrical play so pulled out the RC parts and will attach a 302 subset to it.

I guess the only thing of interest here is the D6 now D1 base. Won't do anything to the finish so it will stay as received.

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on December 10, 2011, 11:11:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

Quote from: TelePlay on December 10, 2011, 11:11:36 PM
I don't know what a D6 would look like ...

The following BSP shows wiring for several variations.  Compare the 201 and 203 with the components in your D1.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=4645&Itemid=2
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

I would switch the cord, that coiled cord just doesn't look right!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 11, 2011, 09:07:02 AM

Brown cloth or black rubber?

Sargeguy

Yes.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter.  I prefer black rubber with an F-1 and cloth with an E-1 but either are correct.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 11, 2011, 09:07:02 AM

How's this?

HarrySmith

Much better but I would change that dial card also ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 29, 2011, 10:39:38 AM
Much better but I would change that dial card also ;D

Yeah, I know, and I will. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding a 302 into a subset and mounting it to this desk set when the new handset cord came - great timing. And this is my first major project.

Now all I need is the 302 base cover from Ray and it will be ready for the stage. The interim number card will be a cheat sheet with the number to be called by the actor using the phone on stage. After the play, I will put in a proper number card, when I find them. They're here somewhere, if you know what I mean.  :-\

As for the finish, I didn't do anything to it at all. It came looking like that. Only need to replace the bottom felt.

Babybearjs

Hey, what up with the "modernization" W.E. did'nt put its parts in there! wheres your subset??
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 09, 2012, 11:06:31 PM
Hey, what up with the "modernization" W.E. didn't put its parts in there! wheres your subset??

Just finished hooking up the subset yesterday. It's a 302 base waiting for a cover from kleenax.

The 202 was acquired from a source that used it as a stage prop. I think they used one of those small external ringers stuck under a table to get the ring and that's why they put that RC circuit in the base. The seller offered an external ringer for $25 but I turned that down. It's also a #6 dial but it works great and it will be used on stage, with a subset, so I'm not changing out the dial right away. I doubt anyone in the play will have ever seen, much less used a 202 with a subset. It will be a treat for some to use that phone.

When I fired it up last night, I was really surprised at the quality of sound from that F1 handset combined with the matching dates 1947 302 base.

The shell had a bad 3 inch long corner crack and was missing an ear but the base was in great shape. It also had several live bugs in it when I first popped the shell off of the base. I thanked the seller for the bugged phone but would have preferred to have found a phone with vintage electrical bugs rather than live, moving bugs. They got back to me saying the phone sat in a shed used for making concrete statues for years without being used. I guess that's where the white spider, unknown larvae and mean brown bug with pinchers came from.

It's a semi-restoration project right now just getting it back to a subset but not intended for a display case. It may some day but right now, it's due to be on stage the first week of February for 3 weeks. Maybe after that . . .

One unusual thing about the base is that is was originally stamped D-6 but the 6 was stamped out and a 1 was added. Someone said it probably was a field conversion. That makes the base an interesting piece, a collectable, maybe . . .

Once I get the cover, I'll take the after photos and post them here.