News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a 191G - Questions on Coil/Capacitor

Started by RotarDad, January 01, 2016, 02:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

I've been gathering parts while working on a '51 191G.  My phone was missing the induction coil, but fortunately, the mounting bracket on the backplate survived.   I was thinking I would simply take a coil and capacitor from a 302 of similar vintage.  However, I see the 191 diagrams and pics of phones all show a 101B coil versus the standard 101A in a 302.  The capacitor also is a 195C instead of a 195A in a 302.  From searching the Forum, it appears the "M" terminal is added on the "B" coil version.  The wire diagram for the 191 shows the Coin Relay connecting to the "M" terminal.  Am I correct that a 304 or 5304 would have the right parts for my 191?

I'd like to restore the phone as correctly as possible.  Thanks for your input!
Paul

RotarDad

Update - In looking at the BSPs I see that a 304 or 5304 would have the 101B coil, but still have the 195A capacitor.  It looks like there were slight variations on the parts which makes swapping things more challenging if I want to make the phone "correct".

Paul

G-Man

WECo 304-sets were used when tip-party identification was needed on two-party lines. This was accomplished by the use of a 101B induction coil which has a center-tap ("M") on the primary coil winding, between terminals "R" and "RR."

The 101B induction coil was also used for a different purpose, on 181 and 191 coin collectors, to prevent A.C. line imbalances by connecting the coin-relay from "M" to ground.

Phonesrfun

Yes, a 101B coil is pretty easy to come by.  The 195A dual section capacitor from a 302/304 has both a .5mF ringer capacitor and a 2mF talking capacitor.  Since the coin phone did not have an internal ringer, it only used a 195C single section capacitor that has the 2mF talking section.  I suspect the 195A and 195C capacitors might be the same physical size, but I don't know for sure.  If that is the case, you could use a 195A from a 302 or 304 and just use the red & black leads and tape and not use the yellow & slate leads.  A 195C is not as common as a 195A but there are probably plenty of them out there. 
-Bill G

RotarDad

Thank you Bill and G-Man for the input!!  I was able to locate the correct 195C capacitor already, and I've got a possible line on a 101B - an Ebay seller may have one for me....

I will have more questions on this project - I really appreciate all the help from the Forum!!!  Thanks again!
Paul