News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Advice on Repairing a hole in an ABS Plastic Phone Shell

Started by John S, August 02, 2011, 10:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hi guys!!  I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on repairing a damage phone.   I bought it on ebay, I was so excited when I received it.  Once I took the headset off I saw the big hole :-(  I have the pieces to put it back together.  Can anyone give me advice or hints to fix it.  This is really a nice phone that would have filled a hole in my collection.  Thanks guys!!!!

John

jsowers

John, that appears to be hard plastic (ABS). There's a thread here on how Chuck Hensley used Acetone to fill in the cracks on a pink hard plastic phone...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5059.30

Be sure to go all the way to the end. I'm not sure he found a way to totally eliminate the bubbles. It's still in the experimental stage.

I had that happen to a light gray 500 W/V once many years ago and I just cemented the place back in with some GC service cement. It's in a hidden place, but of course it will never be like new again and the crack still shows. See the two pictures below. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Did this happen because the seller packed the phone with the handset on hook? I now make it a point to ALWAYS ask that the seller pack the phone with the handset wrapped separately, so this can't happen to me again. You'd be surprised how many sellers don't know how to pack a phone and if you phrase it right, it won't come across as insulting to their packing skills. They usually are glad to know that little fact.
Jonathan

John S

jsowers,

thank you for your reply, i will read the thread before doing anything.  I am always nervous when I am getting a phone from ebay, because most people don't know how to pack a phone.  Yes, the headset was on the phone.  I will keep you posted and let you know how it comes out......

John