News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist find #2, NIB AE Type 880 Executive Model Speakerphone.

Started by Greg G., October 11, 2011, 03:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I can't resist 47yo NIB phones.  Paid $30 for this.  Even comes with instructions, how cool is that?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay ,
              Just send it to me cause it is boxed wrong. Box code is supposed to be white  ;D  You LUCKY dog :o  Man, that's a great find! ;D   I like the way these sound.    stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

teka-bb

Any chance of scanning the paperwork so I can put it in the library?
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

GG

Yeeps!  Holy cow!   Dude!   Good find! 

What general region of the country are you in, and what general region of Craig's List did you search to find that?

BTW, if I recall correctly, those require an AC/DC transformer (I may be wrong, check the docs).  If it is not included in the box, wait until you have found the correct output value for it in proper documentation, so you don't guess wrong and fry something.

LarryInMichigan

Great find!  Brinybay is becoming the west coast craigslist version of Doug Rose :)  About the only the phones I find on craigslist are gaudy 1960s/1970s decorator phones for $300 and an occasional black 302 or 500 for $50.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: GG on October 11, 2011, 06:00:48 AM

Yeeps!  Holy cow!   Dude!   Good find!  

What general region of the country are you in, and what general region of Craig's List did you search to find that?

I'm in Seattle.  The seller was 10 minutes away from where I work on the east side (Kirkland, WA).

Quote from: GG on October 11, 2011, 06:00:48 AM

BTW, if I recall correctly, those require an AC/DC transformer (I may be wrong, check the docs).  If it is not included in the box, wait until you have found the correct output value for it in proper documentation, so you don't guess wrong and fry something.

I'll be careful.  I haven't looked at the docs yet, but if they were beyond my understanding, I was just going to hook up the phone only.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: teka-bb on October 11, 2011, 05:18:57 AM

I have a scanner, that's entirely possible.  I attached them below.  The schematics actually open up as a "centerfold" which is too large for my scanner, so it was scanned in two parts.

I read the docs, they lost me.  I don't know if I need that external power supply they mentioned or not.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on October 11, 2011, 01:32:45 PM
I read the docs, they lost me.  I don't know if I need that external power supply they mentioned or not.

From TB-470-916  section  2.3.3, it appears that you should not need a power supply unless your line doesn't provide enough loop current to power the unit.

I've tested dozens on 880s using a standard POTS line and used several testers and line simulators without needing a power supply.  It's worth a try.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

stub

Brinybay,
             Just hook your 10 conductor cord up like this- green, yellow and blue together and hook to line 1 , then connect together the red and the Brown/green  to line 2  or vise-versa.  No power supply needed to operate the phone. This is for a POTS line.
             When you push the on and off switch to ON, with handset in cradle, the switch will flash every 3 or 4 seconds to remind you that the phone is off-hook. If it doesn't flash reverse your line in wires and it should start working.  Hope this helps.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Other interesting tidbits - Seller said he acquired it from a relative who used to be a Bell System employee (gotta love those retired Bell employees!)  It was also left over from a yard sale he had a couple weeks ago.  Can't wait for next spring and summer for the yard sales to heat up again!
- Mike Row
e

GG

The Bell *never* used AE equipment, so either a) a Bell employee managed to get hold of this via someone at GTE for his own use but never bothered to hook it up, or b) the person worked for GTE or some other independent telco that used AE. 

teka-bb

Quote from: Brinybay on October 11, 2011, 01:32:45 PM
Quote from: teka-bb on October 11, 2011, 05:18:57 AM

I have a scanner, that's entirely possible.  I attached them below.  The schematics actually open up as a "centerfold" which is too large for my scanner, so it was scanned in two parts.

Thanks Brinybay

I've added the document to the library:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=4575&Itemid=2

If possible could you also scan the other document please? Thank you.

Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Greg G.

Quote from: GG on October 12, 2011, 12:15:31 PM

The Bell *never* used AE equipment, so either a) a Bell employee managed to get hold of this via someone at GTE for his own use but never bothered to hook it up, or b) the person worked for GTE or some other independent telco that used AE. 

I think he may have said "worked for the phone company".
- Mike Row
e

liteamorn

Wow, what a find!! Craigslist in my area is sparse at best when it comes to phones.