News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - January 2016

Started by AE_Collector, January 01, 2016, 11:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - January 2016.   ***VOTE FOR TWO***

andre_janew's February 1964 black WE 500 date matching on eBay $10.50 plus $12 shipping
4 (13.3%)
fabius' enameled sterling 15 year Alberta Government Telephone employee pin. $10 from eBay
4 (13.3%)
wds' Kellogg candlestick for $85 with shipping and another $85 to replate it all.
9 (30%)
Autonut's Telephone Directory Cabinet on Kijiji for $50 CDN plus $15 shipping so $47 US$
9 (30%)
zapper's Western Electric NOS in box black 500 dated 1952 $91 on eBay
14 (46.7%)
compubit's Dawn Gray AE 80 on eBay for $65 plus $12 shipping
11 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners click here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12971.0

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

andre_janew

I'll nominate my black February 1964 WE telephone that has all its original date matching parts.  I got it off eBay for $10.50 plus $12 shipping.  Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231785113760

EDIT: eBay screen capture added

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on January 01, 2016, 06:07:59 PM
I'll nominate my black February 1964 WE telephone that has all its original date matching parts.  I got it off eBay for $10.50 plus $12 shipping.

Nice looking 500.

Fabius

I nominate my enameled sterling 15 year Alberta Government Telephone employee service pin. Marked STERLING on the back. $10 from eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/h48dkv8
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Buzby

I'd like to nominate WDS's Kellogg desk set.

It cost him $85 for the phone with shipping, and another $85 to make it extra gorgeous.

Link to original topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15506.0

Buzby

I would also like to nominate a wonderful haul by WEBellSystemChristian, who got a lot of good stuff for only $9 (plus S&H).

He got a good deal there, and look forward to the unveiling of the booty he acquired.

AE_Collector

Yeah, I think I've heard this tune before! We decided awhile back that in most cases items need to be an individual item ruling out "groups" and "lots". Once Christian sorts through his haul he or someone else might want to nominate something he finds in the bottom of the box that is worthy. It gets to be difficult to assign a "price paid" for individual items out of "lots" but we are pretty lenient in this area.

As far wds' spiral shaft Kellogg, while it doesn't now look to be an original Kellogg item, originality hasn't been a requirement in the past and I am inclined to think that "it is what it is" and if it turns out to be enough members "Find of the Month" it stands a chance of winning.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 17, 2016, 11:13:48 PM
Yeah, I think I've heard this tune before! We decided awhile back that in most cases items need to be an individual item ruling out "groups" and "lots". Once Christian sorts through his haul he or someone else might want to nominate something he finds in the bottom of the box that is worthy. It gets to be difficult to assign a "price paid" for individual items out of "lots" but we are pretty lenient in this area.

Thanks Terry. While you were typing, I was looking for the last, from what I remember, similar situation and it was HarrySmith's collection from January 2015

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13371.msg141378#msg141378

We must have discussed the lot/group issue before that becasue in that nomination, Harry realizes he could nominate only one of the many phones he bought at the one show.

I haven't had any good finds lately until this month and then I came across two. I'll nominate my second find a 1929 era Telephone Book Cabinet. I found it on an online buy & sell site. (Kijiji) I paid $50.00 plus $15.00 for postage for a total of $65.00 CDN for it. I believe it's a rare piece as there seems to be no information to be found on it. (Not that there isn't any information, I just haven't found any as of yet.) I placed my 1937 Toronto Telephone Book inside the cabinet and it fits like a glove.

Added two pictures of the refinished cabinet that was returned this week.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15498.msg161390#new

zapper

WESTERN ELECTRIC NOS 500D DATED 1952 WITH BOX
2CA RINGER 9-52
NETWORK 425B 8-52
MCD 52
HCD 52
7A DIAL 9-52
COVER 9-8-52
RECEIVER CAP 9-52
RECEIVER 9-12-52
TRANSMITTER CAP 9-52
TRANSM9ITTER 425B 9-52
G1 HANDSET 9-52
Purchased for $91.00 on E Bay Item # : 201511418227
Zapper

WEBellSystemChristian

I also have a NOS '52 that I bought two years ago. It even came with the original ringer volume adjustment instructions:
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

I'll throw my December / didn't receive until after Christmas find.
Dawn Gray AE 80.

Paid $65 (+$12 shipping).  Color is better than the pictures show - some slight fading, but not as near as bad as one would think from the pictures.

With all of the talk (and price) about the Oxford Gray WEs, a "competitor" doesn't seem too bad!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

With compubit's final hours of January nomination, it is now effectively February (which means I can't wait any longer to start the poll becasue I have to go to bed so I can get up to go to work tomorrow) so that means "Time to Vote" for the January 2016 Find of the Month. There are six contestants this month so lets do TWO VOTES each. Good luck everyone and Happy New Year!

. . . for Terry

EdTel

Quote from: Fabius on January 08, 2016, 11:09:34 PM
I nominate my enameled sterling 15 year Alberta Government Telephone employee service pin. Marked STERLING on the back. $10 from eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/h48dkv8

Nice, love this!

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like we have all finds categorized by number of votes right now! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford