News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - August 2016

Started by AE_Collector, July 14, 2016, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - August 2016.  *** Vote for TWO ***

WEBellSystemChristian's 1956 Oxford Gray 554 found on ebay for $99 plus $19.99 shipping
21 (65.6%)
compubit's 1974 Black WE 851 Keyset with a G12 "modular" handset on eBay $49.00 + $9.50 shipping
5 (15.6%)
Kenton K's 1965 WECo turquoise 500 for $70 plus shipping on eBay
5 (15.6%)
Dave F's genuine Bell System spade lead crimper bought on eBay for $29.99
5 (15.6%)
oldguy's WECo Gold Imperial set on eBay for $40.90 + $7.00 shipping
7 (21.9%)
Sargeguy's Tele-Trainer saved from the dumpster with paper items used to conduct the training
5 (15.6%)
Fabius' WECo 702B Princess in hard to find BLACK dated 2-66 on eBay $30 plus shipping
9 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners click here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12971.0

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

TelePlay

With the July Find of the Month Poll closed, the August game is on and still looking for its first nomination. Only 3 weeks left in the month.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'll nominate my 1956 Oxford Gray 554 that I found on ebay for $99 plus $19.99 shipping. The phone is crack-free, fade-free, and almost completely dates-matching:

Before and after:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16562
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

Although I know I don't have a snowball's chance in...

I'll throw my 1974 Black WE 851 5 line phone, with a G12 "modular" handset into the fray...

I picked up on eBay for $49.00 + $9.50 shipping as a BIN. I saw it as an 851 (one model I was looking for), then noticed the G12 handset in the pictures and snagged it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191931271039

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice find!

I like the early faceplate and early modular handset!
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

I know my find is nothing compared to Christians, but I'm gona show off my turquoise 500. I actually got it in July, but forgot to nominate it then. I've been looking for a turquoise 500 for years, and it has been proving to be a sneaky little bird. It's an really late open centerd turquoise at 1965. One more 500 done!

I purchased it for the exorbitant price of $70 plus shipping.

Here it is next to my aqua for comparison.

Kk

compubit

Kenton -

I like the "glow" of the turquoise phones - not sure what it is, but to me, a true turquoise phone glows, compared to aqua blue.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: compubit on August 09, 2016, 06:40:27 PM
Kenton -

I like the "glow" of the turquoise phones - not sure what it is, but to me, a true turquoise phone glows, compared to aqua blue.

Jim
That 'glow' or 'luminescence' is how I am able to tell a true Turquoise from a faded Aqua. Faded Aqua just looks like blue-green.
Christian Petterson

compubit

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 09, 2016, 07:36:45 PM
That 'glow' or 'luminescence' is how I am able to tell a true Turquoise from a faded Aqua. Faded Aqua just looks like blue-green.
Unfortunately, you can't usually tell in a photograph...

Most of my turquoise phones have been luck - folks claiming they were blue, but really weren't...

Jim

Dave F

Here is a genuine Bell System spade lead crimper which I bought yesterday on eBay for $29.99.  I don't know how rare these are, but I know that I have been looking for one for 40 years!  For me, this is definitely a Find Of The Month.

eBay link:  www.ebay.com/itm/322236001590

DF 

oldguy

I've wanted an imperial since the 1st time I saw one in the mid 90s in the Roseville phone museum. I got this one off eBay for $40.90 + $7.00 shipping, so 48 bucks. It was dirty but the coiled handset cord wasn't all stretched out & the gold wasn't badly chipped at the tops of the cradle. It cleaned up nice but there are a few chips in the white paint on the bottom of the handset. The dial card was was all stained so I made a quick one for now. No dates on the base of the Imperial. The dial is a 6D, dated 11/55. Both line & handset cords are 55.
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: oldguy on August 22, 2016, 07:44:20 PM
I've wanted an imperial since the 1st time I saw one in the mid 90s in the Roseville phone museum. I got this one off eBay for $40.90 + $7.00 shipping, so 48 bucks. It was dirty but the coiled handset cord wasn't all stretched out & the gold wasn't badly chipped at the tops of the cradle. It cleaned up nice but there are a few chips in the white paint on the bottom of the handset. The dial card was was all stained so I made a quick one for now.

Any dates on it?    1955 ?
No. 6 dial ?
What are the dates on the cords?

oldguy

No dates on the inside of base of the Imperial. The dial is a 6D, dated 11/55. Both line & handset cords are 55. I also added this information to my original post.
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: oldguy on August 23, 2016, 09:11:33 AM
No dates on the inside of base of the Imperial. The dial is a 6D, dated 11/55. Both line & handset cords are 55. I also added this information to my original post.

Bingo...
Dial, cords, and transmitter (refill or testing date) are the only indications of remanufacture.
Rarely are receiver elements stamped with refurbishing dates.

podor

Quote from: compubit on August 08, 2016, 10:19:16 PM
Although I know I don't have a snowball's chance in...

I'll throw my 1974 Black WE 851 5 line phone, with a G12 "modular" handset into the fray...

I picked up on eBay for $49.00 + $9.50 shipping as a BIN. I saw it as an 851 (one model I was looking for), then noticed the G12 handset in the pictures and snagged it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191931271039

Jim

That thing is awesome! Well bought!