News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone line measuring report

Started by dsk, December 19, 2012, 03:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have recently had some trouble with my telephone line, and I had trouble figuring out whats wrong.
Of course you could say, its the Tel Co's problem, but I like to know :)
I got help at TCI and they made their diagnoses. I filed out a form at the Telenor homepages, and got an automatic diagnose report telling, you an error, but not telling what error.  So I continued the form filling, and told them my measurements.
And Yes, they fixed the error and the TCI  diagnose was exact  :D

Now I have tried to measure the most important, and easy to measure data just to know whats the normal state of my line.
I made a simple collection of the data showing how it could be measured. Even when some pictures shows more then one meter, all readings was made one by one, using only one simple digital meter.

dsk

Phonesrfun

Dag:

When you say TCI, are you referring to Telephone collectors international , or is there another TCI?

Based on your readings, it appears you have an unbalanced line between tip, ring and ground.  Are those normal readings for your country, or are those unbalanced readings a result of the trouble you were having on the line?  Was there a hum on the line?

Sometimes I wish I had a telephone company line to play around with.  However, having a cable modem is cheaper, and so I am not connected to an actual telephone central office.

-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 19, 2012, 10:04:55 PM
Dag:

When you say TCI, are you referring to Telephone collectors international , or is there another TCI?

Based on your readings, it appears you have an unbalanced line between tip, ring and ground.  Are those normal readings for your country, or are those unbalanced readings a result of the trouble you were having on the line?  Was there a hum on the line?

Sometimes I wish I had a telephone company line to play around with.  However, having a cable modem is cheaper, and so I am not connected to an actual telephone central office.

That's the right TCI. Their forum layout is not as good as this, and a lot of the same people are here too, together with the CKTS forum I get lots of help and .....

Regarding the balance, I'm not sure but I have a feeling of a local tradition of putting the ground power-supply (+) is put up 2 cells to get a little - against ground. Not found anyone to comment this, but I remember voltage readings 30 years back living in Oslo, where tip was a few volts negative to ground, and ring was nearly 60V from ground.  
If that's right and you subtract 5 V from the readings to ground, its not looking to bad.

My readings are made just after the line was fixed due to a connection to another ext. (tip to tip) causing lots of hum and noise.   Absolutely no noise now! and the repairman claimed all to be right.
My idea about power-supply may look like this.
dsk

dsk

About TCI forum VS this forum, here it is much more easy to refer to this story, than finding back to it in the TCI forum, so I use this one.  ;)

dsk