and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Excellent 302 under this dust

Started by KeithB, October 09, 2010, 09:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

Item # 110594735359
( dead link 11-03-21 )

Metropolitan Z/Operator dial porcelain, suede feet in good condition, base is well-preserved, and bid is at only $5 with 2 days remaining with about $10 shipping.  Straight mounting cord, curly handset cord, dial card and ring is missing.

Sargeguy

I was the high bidder on this one-looks like I'll have some competition!!! :-\
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

KeithB

Looks like someone sniped it for $30 in the last few seconds...

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 09, 2010, 09:19:40 PM
I was the high bidder on this one-looks like I'll have some competition!!! :-\

That's why I try not to  publically post open auctions (unless they are mine).

I will privately advise a collector if I think it goes with their collection. A lot of folks do the same for me.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

KeithB

Actually, I just read the "unwritten rule" thread last night.  :-\

Jim Stettler

Don't feel bad. I have my own personal policy against doing it, and I sometimes still do.

I think I have lost more than 1 phone that got "outed" on the listservers.
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

I only ever mention active listings if there is something that needs to be discussed or I don't feel it's going to affect its price by mentioning it here. I definitely do not mention auctions for things that are objectively collectible, things I know someone on this forum (including myself) is bidding on. For example, I never discuss any colored 300-series models on auction until that auction has closed with a winning bidder. But once they do, I'm on here blabbing about it like it's everybody's business, especially here lately because they seem to be selling like Gang Busters (or coming on like hot cakes). :D I don't want to risk there being someone else on here trying to bid on it while I'm telling everybody else, just like I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to me. I did once, but unless we have someone here who collects charm bracelets and stuff, then I don't think anything happened because of it.

Adam

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 14, 2010, 10:41:09 AM
I only ever mention active listings ... I did once, but unless we have someone here who collects charm bracelets and stuff, then I don't think anything happened because of it.

You have to be careful, even if you think the auction is off-topic.  Recently, I mentioned an active auction for a Trimline phone made into a clock.  I thought it was a home-made thing and couldn't imagine anyone here would be interested in bidding on it.  It wasn't home-made, and someone here was indeed bidding.  (Sorry, you know who you are!)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

JorgeAmely

What is more desirable from a collector's point of view: a numbers only bezel or a "metropolitan" bezel with the Z operator?
Jorge

Russ Kirk

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 14, 2010, 12:31:27 PM
What is more desirable from a collector's point of view: a numbers only bezel or a "metropolitan" bezel with the Z operator?

For me it would be the numbers only bezel.  It would invoke the biggest "WOW Factor" when showing off my collection.  Most non-collectors have not seen a numbers only bezel.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 14, 2010, 12:31:27 PM
Jorge...simple answer....Both! Both are desirable in like new condition. I used to be a numbers only guy, thinking they were older. As I got more educated, I found they were just rural numbers only with no lettering and one wasn't worth more than the other. Then I found out about them being dated and all hell broke loose. Myself, I like the numbers only look, in my little mind, I think they look older (but they are not!!) Cleared it up, didn't I? ....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

Slightly off topic, but I have a modest collection of more modern phones with numbers-only dials.  They're relatively rare, and I just think they're cool!

BTW, the numbers-only dial phones in my collection were made by Stromberg-Carlson and ITT.  Western Electric made these too, but they're very hard to find.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

I tend to shun numbers-only, and prefer metropolitan plates.  I think that's just because I never saw number-only growning up.  But my tastes change all the time, and there may come a time when I'll like them.  It may be a little simplistic, but they just look too plain to me.
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

I feel the same way. My attraction to the 500 is mostly nostalgic, and having never known of the numbers-only design, it doesn't mean as much to me except from a trivial standpoint.

The 302, on the other hand, is a completely different story to me altogether. I never saw them growing up except on-screen perhaps, but they're just so beautiful and mass-appealing in my opinion that they win me on their own merit, and a rare one with, for example, a good JMRW dial plate would be awesome. (I'm not buying right now, though, because I'm out of room and money at the moment. ;D )

Kenny C

The 302 Is by far my most favorirte phone. I think it has  a better sound quality than the 500. It has better style and is smaller.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010