News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can anyone identify this?

Started by markosjal, November 19, 2016, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

This is an auction page from Mexico . Some have trired to ask this seller questions but he never answers.

It looks like chrome on metal , the red dial is plain weird

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-567897506-telefono-antiguo-_JM
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

andy1702

I'd say it looks like it might be brass with the red bits painted on. The dial finger wheel is almost certainly plastic.

I'm not sure what it is, but it looks very suspicious. Look at the gap between the 0 and the finger stop. That large gap is common on phones made in india, often to British designs. They're not exactly fakes or repros because they are often on 300 type instruments that were actually manufactured in India for everyday use there. My suspicion is they have got wise to exporting their own old phones to collectors and are now making new ones in the most desirable candlestick style.

If it is a modern repro then it's only worth what you might pay for any modern phone. Maybe $40 or $50 tops. Bug even if it's original to the early 20th century it's still not worth anything like $2000. Here in the UK original GPO candlesticks usually sell for less than £200.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

markosjal

It is $2000 MXN (Mexican Pesos) that is just a hair over $100 USD.

The gap you speak of is the same gap I see o  Ericsson Dials from the 70s or 80s . The earlier Ericsson dials had a smaler gap. The finger stop however does not look like any ericcsson I have seen. Also the location of the finger stop it is probably not Northern Electric, or Western Electric. That does not however preclude (at least the dial) from being AE or SC.

Looks metallic clearly. Sure wish his guy would answer some questions!

andy1702

$100USD is better, but personally I'd still say not worth it. Everything looks too new and clean.

I believe there was a dial phone used in India after the bakelite ones. It's similar to a GPO746 or a US 500 series in it's idea but looks obviously different. If you have a look at one of those I think they sometimes have a similar looking dial. This is from memory though, so don't take it as gospel truth.

Jack Ryan

I'd say it is all or at least mostly reproduction. Transmitter and receiver are certainly reproductions.

The dial looks like an AE type 52 - commonly used on reproductions (originally from AE 80 and AE 90 etc).

The "gap" advice only applies to BPO pattern telephones that normally use dials based on Siemens Brothers No 3, 8 and 10 dials. A gap is common in the rest of the world.

Regards
Jack

markosjal

I actually find it quite interesting. Even if a repro it has to be from  the 70s or 80s

I do not always want the oldest sometimes I want the unique

andy1702

I've had another look at this now... Judging from the way the dial label seems to mount with the two cutouts at each side, it looks a bit like it might be Dutch. I've got a couple of 70s era dutch phones with very similar labels, although the dial itself is different.