News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 66 - WE 302, first quarter 1936

Started by bingster, April 06, 2011, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Yep, you read it right--First quarter of 1936.  It's a field trial set, and appears to have been installed on a manual party line.  It's got all the proper Bell Labs labels and marks, and isn't in bad condition.  

What price will this bring when all is said and done?  Get your guesses in before the auction's final day, and you could be the next contest winner!

S C O R E B O A R D

$   579.89 - Dan (Winner)
Sold for $646.56
$   775.00 - Tom B
$   974.64 - bingster
$2,869.57 - Kenny C
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

I think it will go for 2869.57  ;D random huh.

Anyone notice the 1941 ringer?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Nice Catch Kenny...I did notice the ringer date....plus its conditon knocks it out of what I collect. STILL....a really desriable phone. Nice Catch!....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Doug, are you saying it's condition is too rough or too pretty based on what you collect?  I am going $579.89
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on April 06, 2011, 05:52:54 PM
Doug, are you saying it's condition is too rough or too pretty based on what you collect?  I am going $579.89
Dan...I'll leave that up to you to decide....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

I have seen that phone in person (years ago). Notice the single cord hole .
I mentioned this set  in the D/P 1948 500 set thread.

I don't know know if the handset is 1936, but I handled a 1936 F handset at the lyon's show. 1936 F handsets are also mention on the early 302 page.

No auction guesxs at this time.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

My trial set #720 has a different F1 style handset. See old thread .
Robby

GG

RDelius, where can we find the old thread?  And does yours also have a single rear cord exit?  (This supports the idea that the GPO 332 was the inspiration for the WE 302: same configuration for the cords.)

Looks like this one got halfway submerged in water or something like that.  It's going to be another careful restoration for someone, but all the parts are present.

I'm going to guess $2500.

Tom B

Tom

rdelius

The thread is 302 field trial set i think. Mine is identical to this one except the  handset.My other field trial set looks more like the production model
Robby

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on April 06, 2011, 07:48:24 PM
I have seen that phone in person (years ago). Notice the single cord hole .
I mentioned this set  in the D/P 1948 500 set thread.

I don't know know if the handset is 1936, but I handled a 1936 F handset at the lyon's show. 1936 F handsets are also mention on the early 302 page.

No auction guesxs at this time.

Jim
Jim....this handset doesn't look like either of the older F1 types I have seen, Robbie had one that had a two piece transmitter, like an E1 without a spit cup. I used to have one, that had no grooves on the caps or the body and was dated IV36, no F1 designation.. Looking at this, I thought it was an after add F1 around the time of the ringer add, but just a guess.......thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I remember Robbie's handset (It is pretty interesting).
The one I saw in Lyons appeared to be pretty much standard, but was dated '36.  I saw this phone before the first "Mile-high TCI" show. That was many many years ago (1990's?).
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

Only four bidders in the game this time, but the low bid pulled it off.  Congratulations, Dan!
= DARRIN =

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright