"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 73: Jade Green AE40

Started by LM Ericsson, April 09, 2012, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

My guess goes about like Harry's 1601.50 :D
Shipping to me will bi additional $ 90, and that's enough to for me to put on the brakes  ;)

dsk

Dan/Panther

Is this a legitimate auction contest ? I don't see the regular listing of estimates by our members like other auctions and there is another #73 listed below.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

The other Auction 73 never happened. it was suggested but Bingster didn't see the posting until it was too late. I modified the title by puting (NOT) into it just now to try to avoid confusion.

Auction 73? (NOT) - Pink 10 button 1500 with original Line cord /plug

Bingster turned it into an auction phone on April 11 so he will likely be back to update the summary at the top of the thread soon. We may as well keep the guesses coming in.

Terry

<edit> I was doing nothing else (don't tell my wife) so I went ahead and built the "scoreboard" to date at the top of this thread. I hope Bingster doesn't mind. Don't want to step on any toes...

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: d_s_k on April 14, 2012, 03:21:31 AM
Shipping to me will bi additional $ 90, and that's enough to for me to put on the brakes  ;)
dsk

The phone is in Argentina D_S_K so shipping to North America is something like $70 so you are not at much more of a disadvantage on this one than the rest of us!

Terry

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

bushman

Ive never tried one of these  so I will shoot for $1768

Bushman

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

TelePlay

Sold for $1,228 with a last second snipe by a first time bidder to the auction. Congrats to stub . . .

stub

Thank You !!!  ;D    Terry knows the address to send all the winnings ::)   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Grumble Grumble $%^&#@ - you stole this "win" from me STUB! One day I'll win one of these. Well....maybe not.  ::)

Terry  :)

Doug Rose

Mr Katz strikes again! He must have a Stunning collection! ....Doug
Kidphone

Signguy

Some folks may not like my take on the bidding process but here goes anyway.

Two bidders with feedback of 34 and 112 deemed it necessary to bid a total of 24 times.  Anyone is certainly entitled to bid as much as they like and how they like but what purpose does it serve other then to drive the price up unnecessarely? Person 112 even found that they had to overbid theirself two times indicating to any new bidder they had already raised their bid without being challanged. Person 34 played games which only drove the bid up without offering a serious bid theirself.

When items come up for auction, and if we are interested in these items, I think we know how much we are willing to pay. Why not put in a bid at the end that reflects ones comfort limit? This eliminates two things. One, the "Shills" are no longer controling the bidding IF they  are bidding for the seller, and two, perhaps a truer value of an item will emerge.

Another of my pet peeves is the length of the auctions. A shorter time frame is much more condusive to an auction free of "hanky panky" . I think it also benefits the seller in that buyers will then have to pay more attention to the item they may want rather then to who is playing around with their bids.. Most serious bidders see the item of interest soon after it goes on so what is the point of dragging it out for a week or ten days?

Just MHO

Cheers.... Ell

twocvbloke

I don't like ebay's way of auctioning either, it's not a true "auction" as a true auction would advertise in advance the items for sale, with some auction houses people can submit bids prior to the auction, but not bump up the price over and over like with ebay... >:(

A recent one I was watching, a set of hoover Junior tools, started off at about £10, and then rapidly went up to £200, from bids by low-feedback users, and won by said low-feedback bidder, then a few weeks later, the tools were relisted, and sold for way less, so, I think what happens is people have more than one account, they bid up the price (shill bidding) to beyond sanity, then ignore the seller's requests for payment, and then after a while the seller says "screw it" and relists, and the shill bidder uses their real account to buy it because nobody else is looking... ::)

It would be nice to see ebay take up the real auction setup, advertising, then starting the auction at a set time for a set period, THEN selling, that would be more fair, for both bidders and sellers... :)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Signguy on April 17, 2012, 03:24:19 PM
Some folks may not like my take on the bidding process but here goes anyway.

Two bidders with feedback of 34 and 112 deemed it necessary to bid a total of 24 times.  Anyone is certainly entitled to bid as much as they like and how they like but what purpose does it serve other then to drive the price up unnecessarely? Person 112 even found that they had to overbid theirself two times indicating to any new bidder they had already raised their bid without being challanged. Person 34 played games which only drove the bid up without offering a serious bid theirself.

When items come up for auction, and if we are interested in these items, I think we know how much we are willing to pay. Why not put in a bid at the end that reflects ones comfort limit? This eliminates two things. One, the "Shills" are no longer controling the bidding IF they  are bidding for the seller, and two, perhaps a truer value of an item will emerge.

Another of my pet peeves is the length of the auctions. A shorter time frame is much more condusive to an auction free of "hanky panky" . I think it also benefits the seller in that buyers will then have to pay more attention to the item they may want rather then to who is playing around with their bids.. Most serious bidders see the item of interest soon after it goes on so what is the point of dragging it out for a week or ten days?

Just MHO

Cheers.... Ell

Ell...I don't think they are shills, I think they are Newbies who bid in $10 increments until they are in the lead. I don't think they understand the premise. On eBay you cannot outbid yourself. My guess is they went back in after they had the top bid and added to the bid. When outbid, both bids appear within minutes of each other.

Anyone who is serious, will wait to the end, as Mr Katz did to place their bid, most likely with a snipe. Why drive up the price. If I see something I want, I don't bid until the very end, but that's just me. Newbies vs Oldies...Doug
Kidphone

liteamorn

I agree Doug, I always have my max bid in mind and I add a few bucks more so I don't kick myself if I don't win. If I'm outbid to bad for me. I always bid last minute if possible.