News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500/502

Started by Dan/Panther, March 12, 2009, 01:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Did the Signal corp. 500 come with clear plungers and solid blIck plungers ?
if you have a choice which would you prefer on a 54/500. Clear plungers or solid black ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

I can't answer your first question, but I can tell you my preference.  My '57 has black plungers, so I'd naturally prefer black for an even older phone.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

A 1954 should have the black (Bakelite) plungers.  If the bottom is '54 and the plungers are clear it was a replacement cover.  It doesn't seem likely someone would change just the plungers on a case made in 1954.  UNLESS it was a colored phone, which never had black plungers.

McHeath

My 61' signal corp has solid black plungers and the original case. 

Dennis Markham

Heath, I'll bet it's soft plastic too??

Dan/Panther

Here is a photo of my Signal corp 500, matched 54 dates, here is the shell. The phone is near new condition.
D/P

rp2813

So Dan, what is a Signal Corp phone?  9/1/54 is the closest I've seen to my birthdate, which is one day later.  The yellow date paint on the case looks like pure WE.  So is there anything different about that phone from a WE issued one?   Do you have pix of the rest of the phone?

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Quote from: rp2813 on March 14, 2009, 09:17:17 PM
So Dan, what is a Signal Corp phone?  9/1/54 is the closest I've seen to my birthdate, which is one day later.  The yellow date paint on the case looks like pure WE.  So is there anything different about that phone from a WE issued one?   Do you have pix of the rest of the phone?

Ralph
Ralph;
This phone is sweet and like new condition. I just recently talked to Richard Marsh, he lives close by, and he told me that the Signal Corp. phones are built to Mil Specs, and are better that standard issue phone, they have the tropicalized trteatment.
I don't plan to part with it any time soon
D/P

McHeath

QuoteHeath, I'll bet it's soft plastic too??

It certainly smells like it is.  But not as strong, oddly enough. 

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
Here's aphoto. I use it as a daily driver....

D/P

McHeath

Pretty phones.  Like that dial card.

Dan/Panther

Smart ass, I was going to mention the card, but it came with the phone and I just left it alone.
Doesn't anything ever get by this group ?

D/P

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 15, 2009, 02:55:45 AM
Smart ass, I was going to mention the card, but it came with the phone and I just left it alone.
Doesn't anything ever get by this group ?

D/P

I'd rather see a Radio Shack card in there. Anyone remember those cards? I do ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

Thanks for the picture Dan.  That is a very nice looking phone.  So is there any outward indication of this being a non WE phone, like something on the bottom?  I'm a 100% WE guy but it sounds like this make is worth snapping up if I come across one.

Ralph
Ralph

McHeath

Yeah we don't miss much eh?  We'd be a phone museum tour guides worst nightmare.   ;D