News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for a good tool? - Dremel alternatives

Started by Key2871, May 04, 2018, 11:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I let a guy re roofing my house use my Dremel tool to cut a head off of a screw. When it was returned to me, I couldn't get the Chuck loose to get the tool bit out. Somehow he held the button down while using the tool, striping the stop for the spindle. Well I didn't have a lot of money to buy a new dremal for $80.00. so I started looking for a tool that would be close enough to work well.
I did, at Walmart! I purchased a Wen rotary tool, for $18.00. yeah I thought for that price, it would be junk. Well the accessories were, I just threw them out. But, the tool is great. Variable speed and has a rocker switch to turn it on and off. Far better than the Dremel I had for years, I like this tool far and above the other. If you set the speed, it stays there. When you set the tool down, it doesn't turn it's self on.

I am still amazed that for the price, this still out performs the Dremel. So if you want a new rotary tool,  or want to replace one, try the Wen rotary tool.
KEN

FABphones

Agreed. I've recently been doing some research re these as needed one myself. My opinion only, but Dremel has done lots of advertising and it's a name we all know but it's not necessarily the best. The reviews I read weren't great so I bought a couple of 'cheapie's' (two, for comparison) both came to the same price as an entry level priced Dremel. Variable speed, no problems so far.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

Thanks for the heads up!

I ordered one from Amazon for $20.32 Prime. I like the flex shaft!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

Well mine didn't come with a case, I just re used my Dremel case. And the bits that come with the Wen, are actually dangerous, so I just chucked them, and used my old Dremel bits. But I have the same tool without the shaft, I've tried those before and didn't really like it. I get better control with the tool it's self.
Jmo, but  think you will like the tool just fine. Dremel bits are expensive, but they are very good way better than those you get with the Wen.
I found the stones soft and out of round would wear down quickly, or even fragment. And that is dangerous.

In my opinion, Dremel is a decent tool, just way over priced, and didn't feature any safety when you put it down. My old one had the slide to turn on variable speed control. But some times when I put it down, it would turn its self back on, and because of the vibration it would increase speed!
And that's not safe in any case. I actually had to pull the plug to shut it down sometimes. For years I delt with it, until it was useless.
KEN

Babybearjs

DON'T go to Harbor Freight.... I bought a 12Volt generic Dremel tool thinking it would work, absolutely no HP! so do some research first.... Ebay can have some decent deals if you take the time to browse... don't just grab the first one that meets your needs.....you'll probably find it through someone else AFTER you purchased it at a lower price...go figure....
John

kleenax

If you're serious about a flex-shaft tool, one word: FOREDOM
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Key2871

Harbor freight is not good for much. I know of a few guys who thought they would were getting a great deal, only to find the tool getting hot then smoke billowing out of the tool. Frankly I read reviews on everything, then I take time to think about it and then decide on where to go to buy.
KEN