News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are your Favorite Cars???

Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Yeah, but it's not exactly the kind of truck to throw a snow plow on. Besides, we already have a tractor to do all of the snow plowing.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I always thought those were very tough trucks. Unless those are just drivers, I'm not sure..

Ben

McHeath

I saw that find and it was amazing! I'd be the same if I had the money and space, so luckily I have neither.  :P

Sat in a model T a few years ago and man it's tiny!  They were little people I guess.

WEBellSystemChristian

It's tough as nails, it has a 6.2 liter V8 under the hood. Goes about 0-60 in 6 seconds. Although the picture shows a 2014 model, my parents have 2011 models, they have slightly different wheels and headlights.
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Nice truck. I Agree, it is not a plow truck ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

I don't see why it couldn't be a plow truck?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Put it this way, it's like drilling a hole in your med blue 500 to fit a TT pad. The Raptors don't look right with a plow on, plus rust from the plow will stain the bumper and the value of the truck will be gone.
Christian Petterson

twocvbloke

And if you only have an RWD truck, then you're just better off getting out and shovelling snow by hand, cos they lack weight over the drive wheels... ;D

Plus with an engine that size, it's not safe to plough more than 500ft away from a petrol station, cos you'd be bound to drain the tank in no time... :P

WEBellSystemChristian

They're both 4WD, and the gas tanks are HUGE!!! :P
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Well, I'd believe the gas tanks are huge, gas guzzlers for sure.

I see what your saying about the snowplow now. Though, I've always learned a truck is a truck, not a limo.

Ben

twocvbloke

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 26, 2013, 08:53:48 AMand the gas tanks are HUGE!!! :P

Okay, 750ft from a petrol station then.... ;D

Over here, anything bigger than 3 Litres for an engine is a waste for a domestic vehicle, heck, we use 4 and 5 litre engines in buses, though smaller "hopper" buses often have 6L Cummins diesel engines in them just to make them more nimble on more local routes... :)

WEBellSystemChristian

In the US, we try to put the biggest, most powerful, and most capable engine possible in a vehicle, although nowadays environmentalists are trying to limit engine horsepower by decreasing fuel consumption. Ford has already figured out how to get around this by just adding a turbocharger to a V6 engine. ;D

They should have that option for the Raptor...
Christian Petterson

Phonesrfun

Actually, I am amazed at how engine development has progressed over the years.

I once had a 1964 1/2 Mustang that I bought from my dad in 1969.  I had a 1957 Chev that died, and I really did not want the Mustang, but I relented and bought it for $300.  I held on to it for many years and finally sold it to one of my son's friend's.  It was a sad day when I sold it.  I would feel like a movie star driving around in it.  Everyone waved and held their thumbs up everywhere I went.  I felt like John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!  It was costing me an arm and a leg to keep it going and replacing broken parts.

It had a 170 cu in 6 cylinder and a 4-speed manual tranny  It was pretty gutless, but everyone was willing to forgive that one aspect of the car.

I later bought a 2000 Mustang 6 cylinder automatic that had far more power and pep than even an 8-cylinder Mustang of days gone by.  I sold that one to my youngest son.  Now I have a Honda CRV with a 4 cylinder, so it's back to gutless, but I am still amazed at how the 4-cylinder does.  The other thing is how many miles they now go.  The 2000 Mustang has 170k miles on it.  Granted it has had a little work done here and there, but nothing major.  I think it was 90k before I even had to change spark plugs.  The older Mustang needed plugs, points and distributor cap about every 5000 miles and I would have gone into the poor house if I didn't do tune-ups and oil changes myself.  Todays engines are designed so much better than before.

Personally, I do not like the big-block gas hogs any more.  Saving money is more important to me than speed or speeding tickets.  More phones for me!  :)
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

That is very cool, mustangs are nice cars, but I'd never want one. And besides, I'm sure the insurance would be through the roof. (even though I cannot drive yet)

When did you stop driving the 1964 Mustang? Our neighbor has one, but it sat in the driveway so long that he finally put it into storage to prevent it from the elements, but  every once in a while I see it sitting by the side of the house in the summer.

Did your 57 Chevy have the futuristic fuel injection system?

Ben

Phonesrfun

If you insure a car for replacement value, the yes the insurance would be high.  I never did insure for replacement on mine, and so it's a good thing it never got totaled.

I stopped driving the 64 probably about 1998.  Interestingly enough, that kid I sold it to is now married and has kids of his own and moved to another state.  With a twist of fate, my son who now owns my 2000 mustang moved to the same city and state.  Last summer I visited my son and he suggested we go contact his friend and go for a drive in the old Mustang.  Which we did.  I got to once again drive it after all these years.  Me in my old Mustang and my son in his relatively new Mustang, even though they are now both my old Mustangs.

My 57 was a "beater".  It was a station wagon (not a Nomad) and had major rust holes in the back wheel wells.  Every time I drove when it rained, the inside of the car would get very wet. As a 19-20 year old it was about all I could afford.  Needless to say, no fuel injection.  It had a major blow-by and once I stopped to get my daily quart of oil put in and the gas station attendant forgot to put the filler cap back on and it blew all the oil out and that was that for the engine.  I used to call the car "Burner" .  That was its name.  These days gas station attendants no longer exist, and if they did, most would not know where to put oil.

Actually, I think there are two states that still have gas station attendants.  I am visiting one as I type this.  Oregon.  No self service in Oregon, but they don't normally even lift the hood except maybe for the occasional little old lady.
-Bill G