News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Irish 500 and Italian S62

Started by tubaman, April 01, 2020, 12:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Two new additions to my collection courtesy of eBay.
1. NE500, which although made in Canada has been used in Ireland - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Telephone-Northern-Telecom-Antique-Retro/164121703709
I took a chance on this at £8.27 + £5 postage. It's been somewhere damp so the chassis has suffered, but it still looks nice and works well. Dates to 1979 (all dates match).

2. Siemens S62 of Italian origin. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-70-s-Auso-Siemens-SIP-dial-Telephone-Italian-Origin-2-Tone-Grey/402172677821
Another cheap one at £9.75 + £4.80 postage. In decent shape and works well too (I have an adaptor for the odd Italian plug). I think the straight handset cord is interesting for a phone that dates from 1964/65.
:)

tubaman

A couple more of the S62 and the eBay listing photos.

countryman

Nice finds!
Do you have any idea what "Auso" means or stands for? Obviously the Italian Siemens was affiliated with the German Siemens (& Halske) group, but what who or what was "Auso"? I couldn't figure that out yet. I have a "Grillo" phone with the same brand.

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on April 01, 2020, 01:23:03 PM
Nice finds!
Do you have any idea what "Auso" means or stands for? Obviously the Italian Siemens was affiliated with the German Siemens (& Halske) group, but what who or what was "Auso"? I couldn't figure that out yet. I have a "Grillo" phone with the same brand.

I don't know what 'Auso' means I'm afraid. Do we have any Italian members who can assist?
I have a Grillo too - that's why I already have the Italian plug adaptor (sourced from eBay.it) so its buzzer still works.

david@london

Lovely clean-up on that green 500, Tubaman.

What is the switch for - 2 line?

tubaman

Quote from: david@london on April 01, 2020, 02:45:02 PM
Lovely clean-up on that green 500, Tubaman.

What is the switch for - 2 line?

Thanks - it was a bit of a mess when I got it.
It's a grounding switch (earth recall). It was actually the main reason I got it as I didn't have one with a switch (and it was cheap - I like cheap ::))

LarryInMichigan

I believe that "Auso" was the name of the Italian Siemens subsidiary that made the phones.  Those phones were made by various manufacturers.  I think that those are stylish phones.  I have two of them.  One is screaming 1970s orange.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Just for information, only the Siemens telephone is called an S62.

S62 = Siemens, date of acceptance by the telephone company (1962).

Others had different IDs, the Face Standard model was an F63 (it was accepted a year later).

Jack

tubaman

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 01, 2020, 09:09:37 PM
Just for information, only the Siemens telephone is called an S62.

S62 = Siemens, date of acceptance by the telephone company (1962).

Others had different IDs, the Face Standard model was an F63 (it was accepted a year later).

Jack

Hi Jack,
So does that make my one an S62 or not, as it says 'S62' on both its base and its diagram?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: tubaman on April 02, 2020, 02:37:59 AM
Hi Jack,
So does that make my one an S62 or not, as it says 'S62' on both its base and its diagram?

Yes, yours is. I meant to quote "Those phones were made by various manufacturers." but I forgot.

Sorry about the confusion.

Jack