News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose 302 on Ebay---1942 non-Bell

Started by poplar1, September 16, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

There is a rose 302 (302GW-16)  made in 1942 on Ebay. I always thought that WE made phones only for the military in 1942. If so, why would they have made any rose ones?  In any case, this is the first color 302 I have seen without the Bell System markings on the handset. (Too bad the dial and cords have been replaced.)

Ebay item #   271060897318
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jester

Some very interesting markings & features on this one.  The plastics all show features that authenticate the dates inside the phone-- solid cast handset, switch plungers the same color as the phone, the way the date and model are stamped inside.  I think the asking price is realistic, but would be easier to get if the cords & dial were original-- especially the dial.  This should be a 5J with the thick lucite FW and bolt-down cross retainer.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

That receiver element doesn't look right to me either.  I don't remember seeing a Western with an element like that one.

rdelius

That rec capsule might be a Conn Tel, used mostly in military sets

Doug Rose

It went for the 500 BIN. I have sold many items to the winner. He is always looking for high end phones. This was no exception. The thermoplastic looks amazing, Correct dial and cloth cords and he would be in business. WE brown cloth cords would not look out of place on it. I had the correct dial and one of our members put it on a beautiful Pekin Red Manual set he had found. I still can't believe a 1942 date with matching plungers. I thought only Ivory was ever found it this early pre 50 color 302s.  What a really great find...Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

That telephone is simply amazing. Wish I had the money to throw around!

deedubya3800

$500 was a very good price. The color-matching plungers are nothing short of spectacular! The date is hard to make out, the vermillion against the old rose, but it appears to have been made the same week my ivory was. I would imagine these were among the last colored civilian sets to go out before the wartime hiatus. A few black ones have been found further on into 1942.

poplar1

Did you notice that the handset does not have Bell System markings? This is the only color 302 I have seen with an F1W.

The rose 302 I got while working for a refurbisher came from independent territory: The logo on the handset had already been sanded off, so I assume it had been a Bell System handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

My memory is correct.  As a kid, twice I saw receiver capsules that looked like this, but have always been told that I must be mistaken.  I wonder what it is?

Mike