News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mine phones..beyond restoration?

Started by Sigmaz, February 24, 2018, 12:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

I know absolutely zilch about old magneto phones let alone ones used in mining.
At any rate here are two that a friend of mine found in an old barn in western PA coal country.
The Magneto's still tickle the bells when cranked so that's a plus.
I think it's a neat find, even though they are pretty beat up.

twocvbloke

Sometimes, there's more charm in something that looks like it's lived a life and has been used than in polishing it up and making it look like new... :)

If they work, then just clean them and leave them as they are (though, I'd remove those dry cell batteries as they look like they're very unhappy!), but that's just my opinion... :)

Jim Stettler

Many times old telephones were hooked up as an intercom  between a house and a barn.
Magneto phones were handy for this application because they had built in signalling.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Payphone installer

They are not mine phones you cant have sparks in coal mines. Mine phones are heavey and sealed. Similar to explosion phones.

Dan/Panther

No Phone is beyond restoration.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Yeah, I agree, they would look cool as is. Put one in the house and one in the garage. Presto, your own personal intercom system. Yes, the batteries have to go. There may also be some new pets hidden in there, lots of spider webs!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

first thing I'd do was to get rid of those batteries.... yick! they are leaking....
John

Sargeguy

They could have been used in mining, just not inside the coal mine.  Those are some nasty looking phones-I would take them apart and clean them up at the very least.  They are not valuable, so they would make good subjects to practice on if you did restore them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Yeah, a little TLC will go a long way there.

Zunazet