News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CRPF Member Photo's - Wanna see something really Scarey!

Started by Dan/Panther, March 21, 2009, 11:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

I didn't discover this topic until this evening.

It's really been a pleasure to put faces with the names on the list. Y'all aren't scary, at all. I see way worse facing me in the mirror each morning. :o

I'll post some pics, but I claim no responsibility for the impact on your physical, or mental health! ;)

First one, inspired by Dennis Markham, is from the days when we could afford to fly! 100LL is + $6.63/gal. here, as of yesterday.

My theory: if ya gotta spend the $ to fly, fly a really cool Warbird.

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

This one was snapped by a fan while I was deep in the throes of a Hendrix solo, just prior to playing with my teeth. I know, 'cause they got the teeth picture, too.

It's an extremely rare gig photo, actually, because 99% of the time, I have my eyes closed, and let the music pour though me. Only way I know how to do it.

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Scary, pah!

This is closer to what I see in the mirror each morning, but the hat tones it down a bit!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Y'all wantin' scary? That was the original post, so just tryin' to stay on topic...

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 06, 2013, 08:10:59 PM
I didn't discover this topic until this evening.
First one, inspired by Dennis Markham, is from the days when we could afford to fly! 100LL is + $6.63/gal. here, as of yesterday.
My theory: if ya gotta spend the $ to fly, fly a really cool Warbird.
Thanks for posting that.  I'm jealous of you in that airplane.  It's been a while now since I've been pilot in command.  I vowed to get back in the air this spring but I'll have to wait and see how it goes.  I think I was paying about $3 for 100LL when I last owned an airplane.  So that tells you how long it's been.  I did rent a few times after my partner and I sold our airplane.

The closest thing I've flown to a war bird is a Yak 52---a Russian trainer.  The largest plane I flew was a Ford Tri-Motor from the right seat.  I paid for a ride and the PIC let me sit up front and take the controls once airborne.  It was awesome. 

Nice picture!

Mr. Bones

Thanks, Dennis!

I, in turn, am jealous of you for having been partners in an airplane. I was just renting.

The aircraft was a SNJ-6, belonging to North American Top Gun, now sadly, defunct. I used to save all year, for an hour of stick time. Not pictured is National Aerobatics Champion Paul Wolski, my safety net.

The AT-6G/SNJ-6 is more common, and certainly no more cool than a YAK 52. Where do I sign up for the YAK flights? or the Tri-Motor? I should be OK, got some right seat in an AC-47, B-17G, B-25J, C-130,727-200, C-141, etc. Still here, ain't I?  :)

5G capability, with an instructor constantly coaxing you to pull 6-7+, now that is cool, I won't lie!

What an incredible guy! He never once took the aircraft from me, just coached, coaxed, coerced, and comforted me through an hour of 5+ G's. On all the in-flight videos I have, his hands are in the air, talking to me. Reminds me of being stationed in Sicily... :D

Beyond the expected co$t of aerobatic Warbird instruction, it likely ruined several pairs of knickers over the years. ;D I personally can't think of any bigger rush, legally, or otherwise, and I might have done a thing or two, been here and there, tried this and that, over half a century.

Me? I wanna get about 100 hrs stick time in a Stearman! Now, that's flying!!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Not so scary, but important, is a picture of my buddy, Mr. Ichisan. He'll be 21 in may.

I'll quit, now.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

Hey!

How did airplanes get onto this forum!!

I have had the honor of spending a bit of time in several WWII aircraft as a result of knowing folks who own them and are generous enough to take me along.  Luckily, my wife gets a kick out of old airplanes too...she actually has left seat stick-time in the CAF's B-29.

I got to travel from Colorado to Florida in a PT-22 a few years ago...three days and 18 stops to get to Florida...5 cylinders and straight exhaust pipes...sounded like crossing the country behind a John Deere!  Also, several trips across the country in T-6s and a C-45.

The first photo is a picture of me doing my best Harrison Ford.  The picture was taken about 15 years ago...before everything started to turn gray!

The second is the PT-22 I flew to Florida in.

The last is a picture taken by my wife of me in one AT-6 while she is riding in the back of another.

Neither of us are pilots, but we have fun with airplanes when we get the chance.

Mr. Bones

Hey!

How did airplanes get onto this forum!!

Well, Dennis started it, and I sort of took the ball and ran. We are in the Off-Topic part, so all should be OK, as long as we don't mention the TelephXXX word ;D

CO to FL in a PT-22? Cripes-a-mighty! :o That must have been some experience! My hat is off to you, sorry for the glare!

Kudos to your wife, as well, for having stick time in Fifi. Jealous, here, chum, and no mistakin' it! I'm a CAF member as well, but haven't had the privilege, or opportunity.

Thanks for the cool pics, I recognize Navy#44, but not the RAF one the pic was taken from.

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 02, 2009, 01:12:16 AM
... I belong to the, "Titanic Historical Siciety", and was a Founding member of the "Queen Mary Foundation"...

This was posted a few years ago, but I just now saw it and figured I mention that I was aboard the Queen Mary when it was in New York in about 1961 or so.

I was at a family gathering and was bored, so my father suggested that I go to the docks and see what ships were in port.  I went up to the guy at the gangplank and asked if I could go aboard and look around.  He said, "Sure, just get off the ship when you hear the ship's horn blow."

I had a great time looking around and when the horn sounded, I got off in a hurry!  At about 11 years old, I was not ready to be an accidental stowaway!

One could not do that now, but it is a fun memory of what one can experience if brave enough to ask!

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 06, 2013, 10:25:16 PM

Thanks for the cool pics, I recognize Navy#44, but not the RAF one the pic was take from.

Terrence,

The RAF marked aircraft is one of the AT-6s that was shipped directly to the South African Air Force and served with them from 1943 to 1995!!!

It was shipped back to the US and my friend purchased it in the late '90s.  It was in the modern S.A. trainer paint job and the paint was fading, so he had it painted in WWII North African RAF livery with a South African Springbok on the tail.  (His grandfather flew with the RAF in North Africa)  The paint job is an attention getter at air shows!

Nick

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 06, 2013, 09:03:16 PM
I was paying about $3 for 100LL when I last owned an airplane.  So that tells you how long it's been.

What...2 or 3 years ago?!

Terry

Mr. Bones

Nick,

Thanks for the great photos of the SAAF AT-6! I haven't seen her before today, but will keep my eyes peeled!

I was looking around the web, trying to find my old girlfriends. Found one at History Flight.com.

DBT, Dark Blue Texan, is shown there. Glad she has a happy home. "Lawrence, Lawrence, this is Dark Blue Texan, approaching the pattern from downwind..."

Gotta find the other, LBT Light Blue Texan. My first Warbird aerobatic experience. Sigh. You never forget the first time you pull 6+ G's in an aircraft. Especially with an instructor telling you "pull Pull PULL, TERRENCE!"

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

I know that it is not cool to admit it, but although I love airplanes - working on them, flying them or flying in them - I have a "straight and level" stomach. 

I love the idea of aerobatics, but the reality is that my stomach doesn't!

twocvbloke

I've only ever flown twice, to Orly Sud airport outside of Paris, and to Teesside airport on the return journey, where the pilot decided to bounce the plane side to side down the runway........ :o

Not the sort of experience anyone wants on their 2nd ever flight... :D

However, my younger brother is in the RAF cadets, and is nearing completion of his flight training, so that he can fly solo, not sure what he plans to do with his piloting licence, but he does want to pilot commercial aircraft at some point, which could be handy... :D