"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I am the guy from Germany :)

Started by Project Telephone, October 17, 2016, 09:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project Telephone

Hey guys,

I am Marco, 28 years old and live in Cologne / Germany and a big fan of American telephones! Looks like the 1A2 system, and search it to use it here in Germany :) Have a few of Western Electric phones in my collection, two 5 lines phones here a 500DM with 5 lines and a CM851 with 5 lines. I hope can use the system soon complete, and search now a 1A2 system.

I am also webmaster of the my German phone site, with many pictures of my collection

http://www.projekt-telefon-sammlung.de.tl/ also have a Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/ProjektTelefonSammlung/ but all sides are in German language, i hope this is no problem i think the pictures speak for you :)

I hope for nice talks, and find new friends on the American telephone's

Hope my English is ok for a German people :)

Best Regards from Germany

Marco

dsk

Hello, and welcome to the forum! ;D

dsk

WEBellSystemChristian

Your English may not be fluent, but it's a lot better than my German! ;)

There are plenty of European members where who are big fans of American telephone design! Welcome to the forum!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Project Telephone

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 17, 2016, 11:16:04 AM
Your English may not be fluent, but it's a lot better than my German! ;)

There are plenty of European members where who are big fans of American telephone design! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks sounds good! I am happy to here, hope for new informations and new knowhow. Ah yes i think it's not so often to hear it from a European people like American phone! I like the easy systems in the US, the Amphenol plugs, the western plugs and other things!

I will now buy a 1A2 system for my collection, and will use this all days. Search now the main system, a few Amphenol plugs, cables and the tool for install the cables in the 1A2.

This is my new project :)

jsowers

Welcome to the Forum, Marco! Your English is very good.

My German is very bad, even though I have many German ancestors on both sides of my family and my ancestors are buried in a cemetery where the oldest tombstones are in German. I just bought some German Christmas ornaments from Lauscha on eBay and I finally figured out the DHL tracking page, which was all in German. There's a tiny little "DE" for Deutsche at the top and you have to click and drag down to "EN" for English. I don't know what "duh" is in German, but that applies to me looking at that page. The only part I understood was at the bottom. It said "Ich bin kein Roboter" which means "I am not a robot."  :)  And if JFK hadn't said "Ich bin ein Berliner" I wouldn't have understood that robot line.
Jonathan

19and41

Hallo Marco, arbeitete ich in der Kommunikation in der US-Armee in der Nähe von Soest zwischen 1978 und 1981. Willkommen im Forum, haben Sie eine schöne Sammlung und anzeigen. Sie erfahren hier viel, ich garantiere es.

"Hi Marco, I worked in communications in the US Army near Soest between 1978 and 1981. Welcome to the forum, you have a beautiful collection and display. You learn a lot here, I guarantee it."
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Phonesrfun

When I went to Germany once and toured around, I had a chance to try out my German skills.  Apparently my German was so bad that most times I asked a question in German and got answers in English.  I did, however, find that the more I had to drink, the more fluent I became at German....  Or so I thought....  :)

Herzlich willkommen!
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Welcome to the forum Marco!

Here is one way to put Amphenol plugs onto cable. I have several of these for sale still.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8526.0

Are Amphenol plugs used for telephony outside of North America? Would you be able to obtain Amphenol plugs, tools and cables in Europe?

Terry

Project Telephone

Quote from: jsowers on October 17, 2016, 01:14:31 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Marco! Your English is very good.

My German is very bad, even though I have many German ancestors on both sides of my family and my ancestors are buried in a cemetery where the oldest tombstones are in German. I just bought some German Christmas ornaments from Lauscha on eBay and I finally figured out the DHL tracking page, which was all in German. There's a tiny little "DE" for Deutsche at the top and you have to click and drag down to "EN" for English. I don't know what "duh" is in German, but that applies to me looking at that page. The only part I understood was at the bottom. It said "Ich bin kein Roboter" which means "I am not a robot."  :)  And if JFK hadn't said "Ich bin ein Berliner" I wouldn't have understood that robot line.

Thanks for welcome! Many Americans have ancestors from Germany, and DHL is a good company! Shipping with DHL a old relay telephone system from T&N (Telefonbau&Normalzeit) to Texas :) The collector was happy and i had my money... I send all my things worldwide no problem, but many people from US send not to Germany. I see many nice phones on Ebay US, but shipping is the problem :(

Quote from: 19and41 on October 17, 2016, 01:21:40 PM
Hallo Marco, arbeitete ich in der Kommunikation in der US-Armee in der Nähe von Soest zwischen 1978 und 1981. Willkommen im Forum, haben Sie eine schöne Sammlung und anzeigen. Sie erfahren hier viel, ich garantiere es.

"Hi Marco, I worked in communications in the US Army near Soest between 1978 and 1981. Welcome to the forum, you have a beautiful collection and display. You learn a lot here, I guarantee it."

Good German! I know the old barracks in the near Soest, and many other old barracks! This is a little hobby from me, look and search for lost places :)

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 17, 2016, 01:25:44 PM
When I went to Germany once and toured around, I had a chance to try out my German skills.  Apparently my German was so bad that most times I asked a question in German and got answers in English.  I did, however, find that the more I had to drink, the more fluent I became at German....  Or so I thought....  :)

Herzlich willkommen!

Thanks! Yes the German beer is awesome! I drink here in Cologne "Kölsch"  glass size 0,2l :D The people here call 0,2l glass (Test tube) :D

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 17, 2016, 11:10:12 PM
Welcome to the forum Marco!

Here is one way to put Amphenol plugs onto cable. I have several of these for sale still.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8526.0

Are Amphenol plugs used for telephony outside of North America? Would you be able to obtain Amphenol plugs, tools and cables in Europe?

Terry

Hey Terry! Yes thats would be perfect, but better would be ready for install cables? Ready with Amphenol plugs, must only install the cables in the 1A2 system? In Germany don't use the amphenol plugs, here is it the "TAE" plug or western plug.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

The smallest Western Electric 1A2 system is the 551-type Key Service Unit (KSU), often called a "shoe box" because of its shape. It has slots for 4 KTUs (Key Telephone Units), one for each of 4 lines (or 3 lines + manual intercom). The latest version was the 551C, which has a plastic cover. However, the power supply doesn't have an output for ringers unless you also have a "frequency generator", which fits inside the KSU. Without the frequency generator, you can still use the buzzers (inside the phones) to indicate an incoming call on any of the lines ("common audible"). (You can also connect the ringers directly to the telephone line -- called "line ringers" -- without a frequency generator, but each ringer will then ring on only one line.)

Other KSUs are available for 6 lines (501 KSU), 13 lines (584 panel), multiples of 8 lines (620A panels + 79B power supply.) The power supplies usually include the generator for ringers.

Input to power supply is 120 volts AC, 60 hertz.
Outputs are
"A Battery" = 24 volts DC, filtered, for talk path on intercom
"B Battery" = 24 VDC, unfiltered, to operate the relays onthe KTUs
10 Volts AC for the lamps, buzzers, and interrupter motor
18 Volts AC for the older style buzzers
90-105 V AC  30~ for ringers.

The most common keysets (phones) have 6 keys (buttons), which are typically Hold, 4 lines (pickups), and intercom. Other keysets have 10, 18, 20 or 30 keys.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Project Telephone

Thanks for this answer in detail! The 551 typ would be perfect for me here to home, all other systems to big for my 2-3 lines. My 500DM with 6 buttons is yesterday arrived, and looks very awesome my first Rotary with 6 buttons. I had speak with a other guy, and he said looks the 1A2 has the ring generator for the bells, or you use the buzzers. I don't need a intercom system, need the 551 typ without intercom.

The power is not a problem, i must buy a power converter to convert 230V to 110V.

Buy the phone for 30 Euro on ebay Germany, the phones find often but the 1A2 is the problem. The phone is in a very good condition, the original Amphenol plug is there but think fails a plastic over the line number display? The phone is from a US hospital in Berlin ;)

compubit

Grüßen aus Washington DC!

Ich lerne Deutsch beim Goethe Institut in Washington und sammle Telefons auch.  Ich reise im November nach München.  Hoffentlich bekomme ich mein erstes deutsches Telefon.  Vielleicht werde es eine Wählscheibe Siemens FeTAp.

Herzlichen Willkommen!

Jim
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Greetings from Washington DC!

I'm learning German at the Goethe Institut in Washington and also collect phones.  I'm traveling to Munich in November.  Hopefully I'll be able to get my first German phone.  Perhaps it will be a Rotary Dial Siemens FeTAp.

Welcome!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Project Telephone

Quote from: compubit on October 19, 2016, 10:52:34 PM
Grüßen aus Washington DC!

Ich lerne Deutsch beim Goethe Institut in Washington und sammle Telefons auch.  Ich reise im November nach München.  Hoffentlich bekomme ich mein erstes deutsches Telefon.  Vielleicht werde es eine Wählscheibe Siemens FeTAp.

Herzlichen Willkommen!

Jim

Hallo Jim,

Dein Deutsch ist gut und ich finde es toll, das du unsere Sprache an einem Institut am lernen bist! München ist eine tolle Stadt, ich war schon oft dort und habe Bier getrunken :) Ich habe viele Deutsche Telefone in meiner Sammlung, einige FeTAp's und viele andere. Wenn du mal etwas suchst oder Hilfe brauchst, dann helfe ich dir sehr gerne kein Problem!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello Jim,

Your German is good and find it nice you learn it the language in a institute! Munich is a great city, i was often there and have drunk beer :) I have a lot of Geman telephones in my collection, many FeTAp's and a lot of other phones. When you search a phone, or you need help with a phone then i help no problem!

Marco

poplar1

Quote from: Project Telephone on October 19, 2016, 04:54:34 AM
I had speak with a other guy, and he said looks the 1A2 has the ring generator for the bells, or you use the buzzers.

If you don't have an intercom, then you can use the ringers (bells) or buzzers for incoming calls.  However, the 551-type KSU *as furnished* does not include the 118A Frequency Generator that is needed for ringers. Most other 1A2 power supplies do include a ringing generator.

This one on Ebay, for sale by one of our members, does not include the frequency generator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/551B-1A2-Key-System-with-3-Phones-/152046406202

Second photo shows the optional 118A frequency generator

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.