News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early 70s WE single slot

Started by Sargeguy, April 29, 2018, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Problem is, that's not paint. It's ink. So do a reproduction card and call it done.
If you put something that reacts to what's on there now, it will most likely make it worse.
That's my two cents.
KEN

Payphone installer

I have clear coated the cards before and then painted over the clear. Lay the cards and very lightly apply the clear coat. Light spray let it dry follow that process about 6 times them do it with white paint same process worked fine for me.

Sargeguy

Thanks, I'll fire up the airbrush!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone was removed from service,  judging from the yellow cover on the totalizer and the fact that the cord from the upper housing was unplugged.  My theory of it being stolen is incorrect.  The phone has been vandalized, the 178A backboard has a large chunk torn out of it and the bolts connecting it are broken off.  The back of the housing is warped and has gouge marks.  I think the phone was vandalized and then written off. I'm not that familiar with single slots but the coin chute is looser than seems correct.  I have Stan's coin controller for my 236-G but I may just wire this one for home use for now and see if that works.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Payphone installer

There is a spring at the top that attaches to a lever that holds the chute tight. Take the chute out and grab the spring with pliers an pull it towards you. It will stretch. After you stretch it a bit put the chute back in it will tighten it up. There were times when I was a installer the spring was broke. I would bend a a paper clip into the shape of the spring. It worked great. There are also three or four different levers based on the housing which was changed over the years. They are different and they often installed the wrong ones in the refurbishment process.

Sargeguy

Thanks. This project has been set aside for a few months but I'm going to start on it again. Does anyone know offhand what size screws I need to mount it on a 178A?   I don't feel like walking into the hardwsre store.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Payphone installer

The screws that attach it to the backboard are 1/4 20 if you want the correct studs, set screws, lock screws or anything else let me know. Jim

Sargeguy

Thanks, I picked some up at work yesterday and was able to put all the parts together and mount it.  I painted the backs of the inserts and they look much better.  I removed a bicentennial quarter wedged next to the coin chute.  Now that the basics are done I just need to start tinkering with it to get it functional.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Payphone installer

Read the post I posted today on the 1C which is what you have.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21958.0

Payphone installer

Looks like the switch on the totalizer is in the CF position and the intro cards indicate it is coin first. You are in a perfect place to install Stans controller and it will work as is.

rcourtney

0.050" allen for the finger wheel.  1C were best for home use as was possible to make it require a dime to get dialtone.  No refunds without a controller.