News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red 1970/72 Princess Phone Project

Started by AE40FAN, July 05, 2012, 12:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Got this off of ebay and paid a bit more than I would have liked to($58) for an unrestored princess phone but, I really wanted one of these non-modularized in red.  It arrived over 2 weeks ago and it looked like hell. Much worse than in the photos.  It was dirty, full of scratches, and had embedded ring marks from handset. What I thought was paint on the handset was actually some kind of acidic burn!  Took the phone and plastic dial pieces apart. Then I cleaned/wet sanded/polished as best I could.  I managed to get most of the acidic burn mark off the handset and smoothed out the embedded dial rings on the housing.  I found a replacement dial band, as well as, a new basepad. A very challenging refurb! 

Doug Rose

Great job....looks like new. I would put the original dial card back in. it looks much better with the real deal. JMHO....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Very nice job on the Red Princess.  It looks great.  I'm a fan of the original dial cards too, when possible. 

Doug Rose

I like to keep the phones are "original" as possible. I think nothing keeps its originality (is that a word) more than keeping the existing dial card. I love the old dial cards. The generic cards are not something I would ever consider using. I had some great cards printed by a professional with my home phone number which are really quite sharp, but nothing tops the real deal. If they are ripped or stained, I will not use the original....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

I definitely agree about the original dial cards.  When I first started collecting, I imagined I would be making recreated dial cards with my actual telephone number on them.  Then, the first time I collected a phone with a really nice original dial card, I realized it was too nice to change.  It's part of the history of the set, and gives the set its final air of authenticity.

Now, when I acquire a phone that doesn't have a nice original dial card, I make a scan of one of the original ones in my collection, and cut it out using a scissor.  The great thing about a high-res scan of an original dial card is that, once in the finger wheel, even the little perforations, like for the small cut-out at the three-o'clock position, look real.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

HowardPgh

I have to agree with everyone else on this, the original dial card is best.
It is more period correct for this era phone and they have a "patina".
Somewhere on this Forum(Collectors Corner) is a picture of my Black Princess with its original card.
Howard
Found picture
Howard

LarryInMichigan

Speaking or red Princesses, there's on on the Toledo craigslist now: craigslist link.  I have not contacted the seller to ask if they will ship. 

The WE key set might also be a good deal.

Larry

AE40FAN

Unfortunately, the original dial card was very discolored and had water marks that do not show up in the original photo.  I tried it with the old dial card and for me made the phone look less attractive.  The new black repro dial card actually looks much better offset against the color red.  Trust me I am a purist as well but, sometimes things aren't salvageable.  That being the white dial band, number card, and base pad.  This phone was very neglected and I'm happy I did what I could to rescue it.

HowardPgh

Sometimes phones are just left in the awfullest of places.
The 5302G I'm restoring is sticky like someone had jelly on their hands when using the phone, Inside it is full of lint and just as dirty as the outside. Usually the inside is clean.   I should have taken a before picture before I took it all apart.
Howard
Howard

AE40FAN

Yeah, I should have taken a before pic of the inside of this phone as well, full of dust/dirt.  My next project I'll take more photos.  You should post photos when your finished I'm sure we would all love to see it!