News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

127A Extension Ringer

Started by sebbel, March 26, 2012, 04:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

Ok I'm at a loss here, again. I got this 127A which I can't find much information about. I'm assuming it's a subset since it has the ringer and a condenser. I also assumed the condenser had been added later but the date on the label is 1907. Which is very early. I found infor on other 127's what can you guys tell me about this one?
Seb.

bingster

A single condenser coupled with a ringer will make that an extension ringer, rather than a subset (which must contain an induction coil).   The wood is beautiful, and should clean up well.
= DARRIN =

sebbel

Right. So the condenser is need to compensate for the extra distance?
Seb.

G-Man

Quote from: sebbel on March 26, 2012, 04:35:32 PM
Ok I'm at a loss here, again. I got this 127A which I can't find much information about. I'm assuming it's a subset since it has the ringer and a condenser. I also assumed the condenser had been added later but the date on the label is 1907. Which is very early. I found infor on other 127's what can you guys tell me about this one?
The 1916 Western Electric catalog shows the 127A extension ringer box is furnished with a 6AG ringer and a 21D condenser (2-Mf) and was intended for "Bridging selective service." The 6AG ringer is 1000-Ohms (low-impedance).

G-Man

Quote from: sebbel on March 26, 2012, 04:55:18 PM
Right. So the condenser is need to compensate for the extra distance?
Actually the condenser does not compensate for anything. It is used  to block d.c. voltage. Otherwise the coil's resistance would seize the line at a c.b. switchboard.

Phonesrfun

The condenser is likely to be original to the ringer.  Especially one of that physical size, and yes, the condenser is required to block DC voltage and would be needed at any distance.  And yes, that is a ringer only and not a subset.

-Bill G

sebbel

Oh well. I thought I was getting a good price on a subset... If anyone need a ringer I got a spare one.
Seb.