News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new phone number

Started by Bill Cahill, February 06, 2009, 07:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Interestingly, the list of exchange names doesn't have the one that was used in my area for the Time of Day recording.  That one was the same for a large part of the state and had a prefix of RO-7.  You could dial any 4 digits after that, although the actual number provided by Ma Bell was ROchester 7-8900.  I don't see ROchester on the exchange list.  Maybe because it was reserved by the phone company and the exchange was for intra-company use only?

We lost the Time of Day service in California back in September of 2007.
Ralph

bingster

I'm not sure when that list came out, but I've run across many exchange names that aren't on it, too.  If you go through the number card archives, you'll see lots that aren't on the list.  Including some confusing ones like the one for "stone harbor."  Anybody would naturally dial ST, but according to the card it's the S and H that get dialled.  Probably only locals would know that without looking at a directory.

We still have time and weather service here, thankfully.  I use both all the time.  They're TIme 4-1212 and WEather 6-1212
= DARRIN =

Steve

Interesting numbers for the time and weather. before 911 we had to memorize the police and fire departments numbers. Chicago police was PO5-1212 and fire was FI5 1212 I think.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

winkydink

my currentl Local is ADams 7

when growing up my one exchange was STony point 6 (ST6)

and another was SHadyside 1

Konrad

Well I finally got to the local historical society when it was open (limited hours.)  They had a great little collection of booklets including the local phone history.  The 8 original subscribers did not have numbers.  The only one still around was the newspaper one short one long one short.  They had a 556 switchboard on display.  The original exchange is directly across from the historical society.  It moved when they upgraded to an automatic switch.  Found out that the BBQ restaurant in the next town east of us is the old exchange building (small), which is of interest to me as I own a BBQ restaurant.

Konrad

Dennis Markham

That's interesting about the 8 original subscribers not having numbers.  I would imagine in small towns, just like in Mayberry on the old Andy Griffith show....he would just ask Sarah (the operator) to connect him to Floyd's Barber Shop or whomever.  There was no need to remember a phone number.

BBQ?  You're making me hungry.

AET

Going back to Alphanumeric would be so cool!!!  Even on Cell phones!!  Dad's was HOpkins and great-grandmas was UPtown.
- Tom