News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd E1 handset?

Started by Perry, February 18, 2009, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

Here is an eBay auction for a nice-looking 102 set (maybe technically a 202 with that subset):
http://tinyurl.com/WE-102

I thought the handset looks a bit odd, though. Particularly on the third and fourth photos, a line is visible (a slightly different texture) where the seam would be on a seamed E1 handset. Would this be expected on a seamless handset (where the casting line was polished off), or might it be a seamed handset was filled to make it look like a seamless one? I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing, as I've never seen one of the seamless handsets in person.

BDM

Good eye! I believe you're right. It looks like it's been doctored to give it the seamless appearance, which would be correct for this model.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

His reserve is also listed as $350.00, and his BIN price is $350.00, he's hopeing for the idiot that will bid above the BIN price. It happens more than you would expect.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

He doesn't advertise it as seamless, but it does have something going on there.  It almost looks like it's wet across there.  Looking closely it does almost look like a grooved E1 that has somehow been filled in with something.   May be worth asking him about that if someone is interested.  The seller is a member of the ATCA.  I doubt he would try and trick anyone.

Dennis Markham

I just sent a question to the seller asking for clarification on what we're seeing there.  I'll report back when he responds.

bingster

There's no doctoring going on with this handset.  The two sides of the mold in which the bakelite was cast came together at that point, and they left a casting ridge there.  That ridge had to be removed by very careful grinding, sanding and polishing.  It cost a lot of time to finish handsets like this, and that's precisely why they started putting the grooves in.  They could put the handset parts in a jig, run a router over the casting seam, and all the extra plastic would be removed in the process, leaving a finished appearance.

On some seamless handsets the casting seam is more obvious than it is on others, but if you look closely, it's always there.  If you examine seamless caps, you'll see the same thing on them, too. 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I forgot to post the response (from the seller), which he did not post on the listing.  Here it is:

The mark you describe is all to common on some of these earlier seamless handsets. This handset has been cleaned and hand buffed but the mark doesn't completely go away.

I didn't think this seller was trying to mislead anyone but don't notice that line on my seamless E1.  Thanks Bingster for explaining that to us.

Perry

Thanks for the input. I have been looking around for a 102 or 202 with a seamless handset. I had not seen pictures of any that had such a noticeable line, but most auctions have smaller photos. Maybe it wouldn't be as visible on a handset that is not worn or polished much?

bingster

It does seem that the more worn a handset is, the more visible the original seam is.  Keep in mind also, that this handset isn't fully seamless.  Only the handle is.  Both caps are grooved caps, which is very commonplace.

That's an absolutely beautiful job of cording in the base, too.  Even the black dial cords are the proper lengths.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Bing, stop it! Or you're going to lose all your E1 handsets to me. In return, you'll be issued official NOS "K" type handsets in pink, for all your B & D mounts........So keep it up ;D :o ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Now that you mention it, BDM... I do kinda have a hankering for a Deco-Tel "Empress."  If you're not familiar, they look vaguely like a D-mount, but have a G handset on the earlier models, and yep... a K handset on the later ones.  If only I could find one without the frilly flower stencils. ;D
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on February 18, 2009, 09:45:34 PM
Now that you mention it, BDM... I do kinda have a hankering for a Deco-Tel "Empress."  If you're not familiar, they look vaguely like a D-mount, but have a G handset on the earlier models, and yep... a K handset on the later ones.  If only I could find one without the frilly flower stencils. ;D

Ohhhh good LORD! That figures! ::) :-X ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI