News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coin Leveling Tool

Started by HarrySmith, February 04, 2019, 02:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just came across this tool on eBay. This is a strange one, at least to me. To our payphone experts:
Is this correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283363477932

The description states:

This 139B tool was used to level and check the amount of coins in a payphone. The angled end is inserted through a hole in the lower housing and used to "stir" the coins in a locked box so it reduces the volume taken up.

These would be used by coin repair techs to give a few more days of usage before the coin box collector could arrive, and keep the phone from going full and out of service. There are numbers stamped on the shaft indicating the approximate volume and a slider to mark the box level. This is in new condition. See photos for condition and details.

Is this how it was used? How did the tech get this into a locked coin box to stir & measure? I am baffled!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I think they went in thru the coin hopper.
I have a clear coin box that was used in payphone school along with this tool. The purpose was so the  techs could see how to knock down the stack of coins with this tool.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Sure is Harry. Goes down through the hopper and the marker gives an indicator of how full the coin box is.
Had one years ago...

Ken
KEN

HarrySmith

OK. Pretty cool. That make more sense than a hole in the housing. Now I understand!
Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

The single slot payphones, or the older two piece?
Dave

Key2871

Both as far as I know. I was told there is a hole that it can go through, but I tried it with mine once, and had a heck of a time getting it back out. Then talked with someone else who said, no right down into the hopper is best to smooth the potential pile to allow for more.
KEN

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on February 04, 2019, 03:12:01 PM
I have a clear coin box that was used in payphone school along with this tool. The purpose was so the  techs could see how to knock down the stack of coins with this tool.

A photo would be great.

A video showing how it's done would be even better!   8)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on February 04, 2019, 08:33:16 PM
A photo would be great.

A video showing how it's done would be even better!   8)
Yes a photo would be great. I should get the tool also .The can  is for a 3 slot and is smooth sided vs the shape of a coin box. It has a standard lid.
I bought it years ago on ebay. It was claimed to be a payphone school aid for clearing coin boxes.

The coin box  is in a box marked clear acc. and is buried in the far back of my storage space. the very back, third box down from the top on the left, if I remember correctly. Access to this area is blocked by a rotating temporary storage of household goods due to various home projects
Due to other priorities (wife's priorities). Nothing in that area shall be accessed until late June thru early September.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Payphone installer

Used it thousands of times on a single slot it goes down the hole on the right  side of the phone and also was used to unclog the hopper by sticking it in the cut out hole in the hopper. On the right side. The numbers were to indicate the depth of the coins so the the public telephone office knew how long they had before they had to collect it. You stuck it in the hole in the tray then turned it to level the coins. When the coins  were leveled in the box,then you measured the depth. This with the collection interval would determine how long till it was full. Leveling was important because coins tend to pile up. If the tool won't go in the box is not in there correctly.

Jim Stettler

Well,
I won the tool. Now I am motivated to try to get to the coin box. Once it is dug out I will try  the tool out on a payphone. I don't recall ever putting the clear box in a payphone, It was always on the shelf with other clear telephone accessories.
Jim

Thanks for posting the auction Harry.
You live, You learn,

HarrySmith

Cool! Glad you got it Jim. Please post pics or a video of how it is used, I would like to see that.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 10, 2019, 10:30:57 AM
Cool! Glad you got it Jim. Please post pics or a video of how it is used, I would like to see that.
I doubt if I will post a video, but I will try to post photos.
Jim
You live, You learn,

RotarDad

Jim - In my experience, the later 3 slots ( with the sheet metal spring riveted to the bottom of the vault) hold the coin can very tightly.  I can't imagine even trying to jam a plastic can in there.  :o

Cool tool!
Paul

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on February 10, 2019, 10:52:50 AM
Jim - In my experience, the later 3 slots ( with the sheet metal spring riveted to the bottom of the vault) hold the coin can very tightly.  I can't imagine even trying to jam a plastic can in there.  :o

Cool tool!
It is a lucite type plastic. I have had this box for 10-20 years. The auction claimed it was for a 3-slot. It was after payphoneinstaller mentioned using the tool on a single-slot,  that I realized that I have never tried it in a payphone. I have 3-slots and single slots, so I will verify which style the box is for.

Jim
You live, You learn,