"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted - Any Step by Step parts for a young enthusiast

Started by Bradley1023, May 21, 2022, 04:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley1023

Hello Strowger Enthusiasts!

As a young vintage electronics collecting enthusiast, one of them being telephones. I had the idea it would be great fun project to wire a few up with period original telephone exchange apparatus!

A good elderly collecting friend of mine was happy to sell me a very small demonstration exchange using a couple of uniselectors and a few relays so four phones could ring each other. I have had a lot of fun with it! I reverse engineered it by drawing a simple diagram of how it works and got 4 phones wired in the house through it!

I would now love to build something myself using some actual group and final selectors as well! I have had some wanted adds up locally and been in contact with my local telephone collectors society with no luck so far. I'm very envious of what looks to be great availability there in the UK and some of the home exchanges you have created is mind blowing! I look at them and think how I wish I could have been born 50 years earlier so I could have lived to work on this gear as a job, very envious of the very knowledgeable people here who have.

I'm on the lookout for any parts I can find, firstly here in Australia, but if it becomes that hard to get anything here I'm willing to resort to the expensive post required to get some things from overseas. If you or anyone you know has some parts in any condition I would be interested! Any leads greatly appreciated! Many thanks.. Brad

paul-f

Welcome to the forum, Brad.

I look forward to reports of your progress and hope to see photos of your efforts. Feel free to ask specific questions on circuits or parts needed as you go along.

In addition to the info in the Telephone Switching Boards in this forum and contacts you will meet, here are some additional sources:

Info on a SxS demo switch in the TCI Library (Telephone Collectors International). Also browse or search for loads of SxS training documentation.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=switch+demo

The TCI Email Group has a lot of switchers, who frequently discuss technical topics and sources of parts. Many are quite generous with their time and parts.

https://www.telephonecollectors.org/list.htm

Since you're branching out geographically, here is a source for links to Collector Clubs (and other topics shown in the menu on the left of the page):

https://links.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/collector-clubs2
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bradley1023

Hello Paul

Thankyou for your welcome and links to some great sources I will start exploring. Will definitely stay connected here as the project moves along when I source some parts. 

For now here is a photo of my small two Uniselector exchange;

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.34.42 pm.png