News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Radio cabinet refurbished.

Started by Greg G., May 29, 2010, 03:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Maybe the doors at one time spent part of their life hung upside down?

The current way looks correct, so maybe it will be a mystery.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

laid on it's back while being shipped with something laying on top of it.
Also Howards "Restore a Finish"  will cover up those square scratches.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

I'd be willing to bet the handles had become loose at one time, making it so they just mis handled it.
These Majestic power supplies are a nightmare!
That ballast is used on primary side of power transformer. They used a 90 volt ac transformer, and, added the ballast.
The rubber wiring in these is always bad, and, watch out for the paper power supply caps, as they suddenly short out, and, when they do, it's almost instantaneous destruction of entire power supply.
That pwr. transformer is their weakest link, after tha paper caps.
The ballast resistor will instantly over heat, try to burn out.
Usually, each time it does, wire falls ontoa good section, and, keeps the current going. Power transformer over heats, and, shorts, and, that's while you are watching the filaments of the tubes glowing brighter, and, brighter.
All capacitors in power supply, both power transformers, and, the several chokes they used are encased in tar.
Nice radios to look at, and, play, but, I have hands on experience that they are a tech's worst nightmare.
I'd enjoy it for its' beuty.
Very nice case..
It's not a 90, as they have no doors. It almost looks like a 70.
May be. I wish I could lay my hands on my Ryders mannuals right now, but, they are buried.
It's in volume2, and, abridged  5, if I remember correcxtly.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on May 31, 2010, 06:36:51 PM
The little points on the very end of each handle look capable of making those circular gouges EXCEPT that it doesn't look like that is quite the spot they would hit if flipped up. Even if they did hit there, what would have caused them to hang upside down long enough to make those marks? SHipped upside down by rail or truck...around the world many many times!?

Terry

Actually, they do hit that spot, that was the first thing I looked at.  I agree, only if it was shipped upside down a long way for a long time with something leaning against it.  But in order to store or ship it upside down, they would have had to at least remove the heavy power supply box.  I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell, it appears that the factory installation did not have the power supply secured to the cabinet, they relied on it's being very heavy to stay in place.  There was no evidence that it had ever been removed and was still plugged in when I bought it.  The cord is threaded through a hole in the cabinet and plugs in to another doo-dad attached to the cabinet in the back.  I don't know where these were made, but perhaps that theory holds water if they were only made back east. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on June 01, 2010, 07:35:43 AM
I'd be willing to bet the handles had become loose at one time, making it so they just mis handled it.
These Majestic power supplies are a nightmare!
That ballast is used on primary side of power transformer. They used a 90 volt ac transformer, and, added the ballast.
The rubber wiring in these is always bad, and, watch out for the paper power supply caps, as they suddenly short out, and, when they do, it's almost instantaneous destruction of entire power supply.
That pwr. transformer is their weakest link, after tha paper caps.
The ballast resistor will instantly over heat, try to burn out.
Usually, each time it does, wire falls ontoa good section, and, keeps the current going. Power transformer over heats, and, shorts, and, that's while you are watching the filaments of the tubes glowing brighter, and, brighter.
All capacitors in power supply, both power transformers, and, the several chokes they used are encased in tar.
Nice radios to look at, and, play, but, I have hands on experience that they are a tech's worst nightmare.
I'd enjoy it for its' beuty.
Very nice case..
It's not a 90, as they have no doors. It almost looks like a 70.
May be. I wish I could lay my hands on my Ryders mannuals right now, but, they are buried.
It's in volume2, and, abridged  5, if I remember correcxtly.
Bill Cahill

Yikes!  No wonder the local radio hobbiest wanted to charge me a fortune!  I'm afraid you may be right, just enjoy the beauty, which is why I snatched it up in the first place.  I remember thinking on my way over to examine it that even if it was gutted I was still going to buy it for it's looks.  $75 was still a good investment, IMHO.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Maybe it was laid down on its back in storage and the handles just happened to flip into the upper position when tipped onto its back. Then over many years boxes were piled onto it and and off, back on and moved around etc. Not unlike what goes on in my storage space!

Terry

Dan/Panther

Terry;
That is what I thought also. except it happened in a move.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson