News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

(Tiny) Ingram Richardson Public Telephone Local Phone Porcelain Enamel Sign

Started by Sargeguy, August 05, 2014, 12:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Here is another Ingram & Richards sign, this one quite rare but is poor condition.  It still managed to bring $118 to some lucky bidder:

Ingram Richardson Public Telephone Local Phone Porcelain Enamel Sign
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is sign, according to Bob Alexander's Antique Telephone Advertising Volume 3 which he values at $500-600 in good condition:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Actually, this one from p. 431 of Ron Knappen's Payphone History is a better match:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I was the "lucky" winner of the sign.  Needless to say, I did not catch that extra zero I entered into EZSniper :o  It didn't help that my five year old was crawling on me trying to get the iPad so she could play with her Stawberry Shortcake app.  Oh well.  I came home this evening to find it on my doorstep.  The porcelain is in great shape except for the huge missing areas.  It is definitely right up my alley, since it is an early 1900s sign used in New England.  I will likely have this one professionally restored.  Note the "C" in the photo above, which as far as I can tell is unique to this type of sign.  I need to find a decent photo or scan of an identical sign that shows more detail than the scan from Ron's book.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I am not usually a fan of restoring signs but this one could use a touch-up.  Restoration by Van Kannel Sign Restoration will be $150-175.  Here is a look at some of their work:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I found a better pic in Kate D.'s Teleph0nes Antique to Modern
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Don VanKammel e-mailed this picture of the fished sign, now I just need to pay for it!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Steve

Looks like it came out nice. looked around their site a bit, they do good work.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Sargeguy

Here is a side by side:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

Sargeguy

No he uses porcelain enamel, which is a type of glass.  Apparently he reproduces the original process used to make the sign.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

I am impressed. Please let us know how the sign looks when you have it in your hands. I have a couple that may be worthwhile getting restored
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Steve

Wonder how they get it to blend so well? do they skim the existing portions that may be only slightly worn?

anyway, looks like you got a "like new" sign at a fraction of the cost. should display nicely. congrats.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Sargeguy

I received the sign in the mail today.  It looks perfect.  The color is darker than in the picture, an exact match to the old enamel.  Don is a magician!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

What was the final price? I've got two that are rare and may be worth the cost to get restored.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905