News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear WE302 - New addition for a collector somewhere...

Started by easytiger, October 25, 2010, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger

Yowza...anybody here a clear WE302 seeker?  If so, hopefully you picked this up BIN on the bay today...?

http://tinyurl.com/2uh3mz9

( dead link 01-31-22 )
Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

deedubya3800

I was watching this one. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. (I saved every picture in the listing to my computer.) I'd say it's probably worth each and every cent of the Buy It Now price. (Bidding would have started at $2500.) The buyer has been bidding on a lot of phones lately, particularly colored 302s. They bid $250 on the 1942 ivory I bought.

Interesting how this phone is in the UK.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

baldopeacock

What is that image on the dial card -- Barbie?!   

Very nice.   Says it's a Ray Kottke handset.   Wonder what the story is on this phone?

AE_Collector

Doug Rose

The buyer of this phone is a member of both clubs and only buys high end phones. Before eBay blocked winners, I watched him like a hawk. He has spent a considerable sum on his collection, which must be simply the best....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on October 26, 2010, 02:46:03 AM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 25, 2010, 10:24:32 PM
Is this painted its by the same seller
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-AUTOMATIC-ELECTRIC-TYPE-50-MONOPHONE-GENUINE-SET_W0QQitemZ290491702285QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No it isn't painted blue, it's an original blue AE 50.

However, the clear 302 was a painted one  ???

Terry

Terry:
That blue AE50 would look very nice on your shelves.

Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 26, 2010, 10:03:44 AM

Terry:
That blue AE50 would look very nice in your shelves.

It would too! I probably would no longer have access to my house to see it there but maybe I could get a picture of it there as part of the settlement....

Of course I'm exaggerating. She would let it go after a few decades. (still kidding) {just incase she reads this}

Terry

JorgeAmely

Terry:
I once saw an AE50 made by Ray Kotke in blue also. Looked very sharp. It was on ebay some time ago and they seller started it at some stratospheric price. He once told me he paid $5k for it. If that is true, the real thing should go for a lot of cash.  :o :o :o
Jorge

Dan/Panther

I was under the impression that all of Ray copies left the lower left front case hole relief out of the casting deliberately to avoid fakes. This particular phone does not have the relief. Besides isn't $3250.00 a little steep for one with a repro handset ?
I may be wrong but I think this is not original.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Ray once told me that (at least when he started making phones) he somehow identified each one as one of his. I thought he meant that he put his initials and a serial number inside somewhere.

I suspect he does something to each one and that might be something different on different types of phone. Obviosuly he has to be more carefull how he marks the inside of a clear one and he makes many different models of phones so leaving out the spot for the switch on the 302 would only be a way of ID'ing his 302's.

Why isn't he on this forum answering these questions himself!   ???

Terry

Dennis Markham

We talked about this some time ago.  I agree with Dan that Ray deliberately omitted the little round plug thing on the corner..where they may drill a hole for the volume switch, or two-line switch.  He said he did that to avoid confusion about an original.  Then some time later there was one listed that didn't have it and someone said that the early ones didn't have that little plug/drill thing.  So there is still confusion.

I found ONE of the earlier topics.  It can be seen here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1531.0

Note the round spot for a cut-off switch on the left corner.

Dennis Markham

Additional information on the Ray Kotke reproductions.  This is from an e-mail he posted on the ATCA in early 2009 responding to questions about an eBay listing for a clear 302.  Posted below his comments is a link to a photo he posted of one of his creations.

I have had a LOT of inquiries as to whether this is one of mine or an
original.

I will let you all in on a little "secret" that I cast into
each-and-every-one of my 302 creations:
My Creations have NO turn-key boss/blank cast into the lower left-hand
corner of the case like the "Real-Originals" do (Pic of
TelephoneCreations.com Serial #1 Clear 302 attached).

Just a little something that I threw in to make CERTAIN that mine wouldn't
be passed off as originals ;-)

http://telephonecreations.com/Clear302.jpg
( dead link 01-31-22 )

Incidentally, for those of you that have not seen any of my Clear 302
Creations, I also Created the exclusive 1939 World's Fair dialcard; it is
not an original either ;-)

Ray Kotke

Jim Stettler

Ray doesn't put in the switch boss on his clear 302's, however some "real" 302's are missing that as well, (Ray didn't realize that at the time).

Looking at the dial card I am thinking we already discussed this phone when it sold last year.

I beleive this one originally sold with a Federal "f-type" handset.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Here is the thread
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1879.0

The photo's are gone, I think they are on a disconnected computer at home.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.