News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Taking apart Trimline Model 210 handset

Started by Gary G, December 27, 2010, 05:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary G

How does the handset come apart on this phone?  I have an intermittant connection when the coiled cord is slightly moved or jiggeled.  I've tried replacing the cord, but that has not solved the problem.  The phone was manufactured in 1987.  Sorry if this isn't exactly a classic phone, but my wife likes using this phone in the kitchen.  Thanks.

paul-f

This is a common issue with modular connections.  Before opening the handset, it's worth trying to clean and adjust the 4 wires in the jack. 

You can inspect the jack visually -- look for corrosion on the wires and for an angle that applies pressure to the plug when inserted.

Corrosion can be cleaned with a small burnishing tool to gently scrape the surface.  The angle can be adjusted using a jeweler's screwdriver or other small tool.  I use a dental tool designed to remove plaque.  It has a small blade on the end which sticks out a bit on one side.  It's easy to scrape then bend each wire up just a bit.

You have already replaced the cord, so the problem probably isn't with the plug.  In general, it's also easy to clean the plugs using contact cleaner and a small brush.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Gary G

Thanks Paul for the quick reply.  I had already cleaned the contact points and pulled them up a bit to hopefully make better contact with the modular plug, but the same problem persists.  Thanks.