News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

REQ: Help with Misbehaving 302 (Strange Dialing)

Started by George Knighton, December 11, 2012, 10:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

One of the junky 302's I bought recently I've pieced together.  It's cleaned up pretty well and looks like it should work.

It's wired exactly the way that a good, 100% operational 302 is wired.  No, I'm not comparing it to my 306.  :-)

It's a 5H dial that seems to look good, and seems to return strongly.  To listen to it, it seems to send pulses decently.

But...here's the problem....

Although the phone operates otherwise correctly, when I am dialing a number I get symptoms.

Sometimes I'll get a new dial tone 1/2 way through the dialing, and other times I'll get a recording saying that my call cannot be completed as dialed.  About 1/4 of the times I dial, the call will go through correctly.

So...what's next? 

Is replacing the dial, as I'm about to do, the next logical step, or am I missing something?  What could cause a 5H to act like that?
Annoying new poster.

LarryInMichigan

The pulsing contacts on the dial might be dirty or bent.  If they stay open for too long, your phone will go back "on-hook", and you would then hear a dial tone.

Larry

Bill

George -

Agreed that it is a dial problem. You really need to send your dial to Steve Hilsz in Arizona
http://www.navysalvage.com/
For $6 plus postage, you'll think you have a new dial.
Take a look at the review of his work in the Vendor Review section of this board.

Bill

George Knighton

My excuse, I guess, is age and failing eyesight.  :-)

In the light of a full sunny day, the 5H has some obvious corrosion problems.  It's even worse than the 4H that I was happy to find in an otherwise mostly useless purchase.

I put the 4H in the phone and it's working fine.  

Thanks very much for your help, and I'll contact Steve in Arizona about the 5H, together with an AE and a North Electric dial that I don't know what to do with.

Annoying new poster.