Fake? sign on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/oab554a
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

andre_janew

If it isn't fake, it certainly is odd.  I notice that no specific phone company is mentioned on this sign.

Sargeguy

Notice that the edge is bare metal.  It looks to me as if someone cut the center out of an old sign and painted the back,
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

You may be right.  I see a hint of blue paint near the edges in one of the pictures.  There is also some rust on the edges.  I'm thinking that someone may cut the center out of a sign because that may be what is left of the sign that hasn't been badly eaten by rust!

19and41

That would be no mean feat, cutting a porcelain coated sign that neatly. It would take grinding through the wastage from the cut to get to the desired edge.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

QuoteThat would be no mean feat, cutting a porcelain coated sign that neatly. It would take grinding through the wastage from the cut to get to the desired edge.

You are correct, porcelain is glass and I expect it would shatter/crack to some degree unless specialized cutting tools were used.

Upon closer inspection:
-the logoi looks convincing, if I saw it on a standard sign I would not look at it twice.
-it appears the edge is actually blue. as if it were porcelain.  This makes no sense since the base layer for this type of sign is white and the blue was added for the logo and lettering.
-The back side is too neat for a sign of this vintage, you would normally find streaks and drips.
-The sign is not perfectly round-there are flat areas. 
-The sign is the correct size for a hubcap, but a hubcap would have two holes, and the hole would not be drilled off-center through the the bell.  Some later hubcaps had no holes, but I am fairly certain this is not an early hubcap.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

A true L&LD sign of the 1900 era would have a noticeable feel difference of the white & blue layers..
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

As much as is asked for signs whether real or not, It is good you have a keen eye for the real thing.  It is scary thinking about purchasing such items without being able to examine them in person.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

I watched this auction and was tempted. I have seen some amazing repros signs that looked great, but when you held them they were light as a feather. That being said, I watched it and was ready to bid, but I could not press bid. I think the rust is fake and the sign will be very bendable....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

It's always a good idea to look at the other auctions a bidder has up, which I just did.  Notice that the last three circular signs all have the same clean white back as this one.

toopat53 auctions
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is the back of the phone sign for comparison:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Is it me or do they all look not quite exactly round?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

One other thing to consider.  the round gas pump signs have logos that would date them along with the Gulf square yet curved sign.  The Gulf sign would be correct for the pumps that were in use at the time.  a round flat sign could only be hung on the pump which was a bit over twice the diameter of a telephone pole and look quite strange. a fail on two counts.
— Arthur C. Clarke