News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Colorado Telephone Co. Ashtray

Started by Sargeguy, September 09, 2016, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Found this on eBay.  The Colorado Telephone Co. was in existence from 1881-1911 before it was bought out by the Mountain States Telephone Co. I'm not sure it is genuine, the slogan seems a little too hokey.  We'll see.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

I'm no expert, but I DO watch a lot of "American Pickers"....

It don't look that old to me.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

The abbreviated 'phones' probably indicates that it's a lot older. They started abbreviating 'telephones' in the 1920s-1930s, so is has to be from around then.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

It looks someone may have cleaned and polished it, which would make it look newer than it really is.

Sargeguy

I received the ashtray today.  The white balance on the auction pics was way off, and the color is completely different in hand.  The metal resembles aluminum but has a different sound.  I assume it is some form of tin.  It looks like it was washed but not scrubbed or polished as there are traces of ashes between the lettering.  It has all the attributes of something that was made to be disposable after it served it's purpose. The piece appears to be authentic it has a patina and some age related grime, scuffs and scratches.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

It looks like the lettering is stamped in? That may support the fact it's original?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Pourme

Your pictures look much more "honest"...natural sunlight is more revealing. It does now appear that it may be as you described, original and meant to be disposable. You have a good eye!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Sargeguy

Yeah, it looks legit.  My misgivings about the "five cents" were misplaced.  Although signs never had prices on them (until the 1990s or so) other advertising premiums from the period commonly featured prices for their services.  In this case they are advertising the cost of subscribing rather than their rates, which would mean that the tray was issued during a time of expansion of the company rather than a time when they were focusing on getting established customers to use the phone more often.  I do agree that the quotes around "phones" probably indicates that it was from a time when that contraction had only recently come into popular usage.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

It appears as I suspected,the descriptions (as received) are as expected. In my mind I consider it "REAL".
Just My Opinionj,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.