News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New England Telephone "Arrow" sign

Started by Sargeguy, November 11, 2016, 11:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The New England Telephone 1908 "Arrow" sign is highly collectible.  This example is not the best, but it is still presentable.  I'm surprised it didn't generate more interest.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

"Condition, condition, condition".

I'm a believer that you should not buy badly damaged signs unless they are extremely rare, and even then,
at greatly reduced price. I think we sign collectors, like other collectors, don't want to have to much invested
in an item that we would have trouble getting at least a good share of our money back if we wanted to sell. Also, I like to display my signs in my house and I am not happy putting a sign on the wall that detracts from the nicer examples.

Of course this is only my personal opinion and realize, and respect any opposing viewpoints.

Cheers..... Ell

cihensley@aol.com

I agree with Eli. He probably has one of the best sign collections that exist. You can see some of his signs on the telephone archive Web site.

Chuck

Fabius

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on November 12, 2016, 02:30:26 PM
I agree with Eli. He probably has one of the best sign collections that exit.

Chuck

Where did it exit to?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

He collects exit signs too??? 

I would disagree that condition is everything.  I have seen some crappy signs fetch pretty good money.  I have been looking for one of these  for a while and I've seen versions of this sign with similar amounts of damage, although not the bent flange, sell for close to $400.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

The one side seems to be displayable. It's a tough sign to find.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Doug Rose

I have to agree with Ell and Chuck on this. I found in 35 years in collecting my biggest regrets were buying something that did not display well. My eyes kept going to it and it became a focal point until it was gone. Just my humble opinion. Even if it is rare, if it doesn't display like new, I will pass on it....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 13, 2016, 09:22:50 AM
I have to agree with Ell and Chuck on this. I found in 35 years in collecting my biggest regrets were buying something that did not display well. My eyes kept going to it and it became a focal point until it was gone. Just my humble opinion. Even if it is rare, if it doesn't display like new, I will pass on it....Doug

I agree. A rusty nasty sign, no matter how rare, distracts from a sign display.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I don't think this one is too bad.  I don't mind a little rust depending on how it effects the overall design.  A little rust on the edge is fine, while a few bullet holes dead center mean that the sign goes on the "wall of shame".  I will buy crappy signs if they are very rare or unique & the price is right.  A few are even too crappy for the wall of shame.  I'll hand onto them until I get a better version. 

For example, I purchased the finest example of a NET&T lollipop known to exist for $20: 

and I've never seen another one of these:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409