Started by Sargeguy, December 03, 2016, 08:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

My earliest one yet, from my home telco:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AL_as_needed

I take it that "Extra Territorial" refers to long distance? And 80 cents was a pretty steep price then.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

5 years after the liquid transmitter. You will be hard pressed to find an earlier bill.
Neat find,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

That is a very nice document, Greg.  It always amazes me how much pride folks took in their penmanship back then. 

According to an inflation calculator, 80c would be $17.96 in today's money.

Nice addition to your collection.

~Dennis

Sargeguy

Thanks-its 30 cents, not 80.  It would only cost you $6.73 to call Taunton, MA.

This must be one of the first long distance bills, considering that according to some sources, the first commercial interstate line was between Boston and Providence and was completed in 1881!

Providence is home to some other noteworthy events in early telephone history.  One of the early demonstrations of the telephone took place here. Providence was the sight of the first interstate telephone call from Boston to Providence.  I think it was Bell to Watson or vice-versa. In 1877 the first presidential phone call was from Bell in Providence to Rutherford B. Hayes, who was at Rocky Point in Warwick. The "Friends School" is still here, it's now known as Moses Brown School. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Slal

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 03, 2016, 10:52:27 AM
That is a very nice document, Greg.  It always amazes me how much pride folks took in their penmanship back then.

In addition to its historic value, dip pen enthusiasts love this sort of thing.  Easy to see where he or she had to refill. 

Greg, do you have a museum or place to display it, or part of private collection?  Just curious.  : )

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

Wouldn't you love to know the details of that call ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

Considering it's a boarding school, it was probably "Mom and Dad Please send $$$"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 16, 2016, 08:58:35 PM
Considering it's a boarding school, it was probably "Mom and Dad Please send $$$"

Or the classic "Sorry to interrupt you business but your son did__________and he is being punished by _________accordingly"   ;D                       
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.