News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5" Bell Telephone of PENNSYLVANIA sign & others

Started by Pourme, January 02, 2017, 08:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I'm browsing EBAY and come on this 5" sign that would look good on my phone display wall I am in the process of designing and building. Currently with 5 bids at $22.99.

http://tinyurl.com/jljskcg

As always I wonder if ti is original or reproduction. I take a look at "sellers other items" and WOW! This seller has nearly 600 signs on EBAY. I am not at all qualified to judge the authenticity of any of these but, the shear number of these signs in one place for sale raises questions to me. Also the large number of 5" signs in particular, is a red flag to the originality of the Bell sign that caught my attention in the first place. 5" signs for, Coke, Dr Pepper, bread, oil & automotive...almost anything you can imagine. This is the only telephone related sign in the mix.

He has LARGE signs as well, some with hefty prices, too.

It's important to note that he makes no claim, that I have seen, that the signs are original or otherwise. The term "vintage" is used sparingly. He describes little more than can be observed in the pictures.

Is this guy the sign whisperer? Or just someone trying to make a quick buck?

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Signguy

This guy sells repro signs. If you look at his 5" signs you will notice that all the backs look the same. All black without the normal white or white with "blotchy" blue coloring. Also look at the fuzzy lettering. Even the grommets are the replacement style with the large flared backs.
Small 4-4 1/2" Bell signs were made on occasion. Some were attached to vehicles  and some to the face of pay stations by individual  companies, but few exist. Pacific tel for example.

Of course this is my opinion but I don't believe this sign to be legit.

Cheers.... Ell

Pourme

I have no expertise here at all, but this and others he had, just didn't look right to me. Thanks!
Benny

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Fake. Bell System of PA seems to ne popular with producers of repros for some reason.  There are plenty of 7" Bell System hubcaps out there.  If you are patient and know how to spot the real ones you can get them pretty cheap, around $30.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

I'll keep y eyes open, thanks!...I may run them by you, if that's alright!

Benny
Benny

Fabius

Quote from: Pourme on January 03, 2017, 07:36:39 AM

Benny

That's what we're here for.  :)
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Looking at the top 3 bidders in this auction they all have had past dealings with the seller.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Quote from: Pourme on January 03, 2017, 07:36:39 AM

Benny

I will keep a look out.  In the mean time keep this in mind:

Authentic Bell System (39 pattern bell) hubcaps are always 7" in diameter
Some fakes, such as Ande Rooneys, are also 7" but most are 8 or 9"
The back of real signs will be either white or navy blue, never gray.
Authentic hubcaps are marked either "21" (no hole) or "22" (holed) on the back. Ande Rooney signs may be white but lack this feature.
Fakes do not have the number on the back, although i have seen one where a number was stamped in an attempt to deceive.
The vesions with no holes are always real AFAICT.  The holes in the "22" will be at 3 and 9 o'clock NOT 6 and 12 o'clock.
The lettering on many fakes appears to be a little crooked or otherwise "off"

Another cheap sign option is the 39' Bell System flange hich comes in 11" and 16".  These are always real and in usually in decent condition.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 04, 2017, 03:00:56 PM
I will keep a look out.  In the mean time keep this in mind:

Authentic Bell System (39 pattern bell) hubcaps are always 7" in diameter
Some fakes are also 7" but most are 8 or 9"
The back of real signs will be either white or navy blue, never gray
Authentic hubcaps are marked either "21" (no hole) or "22" (holed) on the back
Fakes do not have the number on the back, although i have seen one where a number was stamped in an attempt to deceive.
The vesions with no holes are always real AFAICT.  The holes in the "22" will be at 3 and 9 o'clock NOT 6 and 12 o'clock.
The lettering on many fakes appears to be a little crooked or otherwise "off"

Another cheap sign option is the 39' Bell System flange hich comes in 11" and 16".  These are always real and in usually in decent condition.

Thanks Sargeguy,
This is useful information to those of us that aren't collectors of signs but would like to have original pieces to complement our phone collections. With so many factors involved, the telephone sign situation is very intimidating to me.
Benny

Signguy

Another of the fake 5" Penn  signs is now on ebay. From Canada.  Item # 192070934064

Pourme

This guy has 138 items on EBAY probably all reproductions
Benny

Quote from: Signguy on January 05, 2017, 07:38:13 PM
Another of the fake 5" Penn  signs is now on ebay. From Canada.  Item # 192070934064

Those darn Canadian's, they are just too nice to be selling fakes. lol :)

Pourme

Ha! Autonut...Much respect for our Canadian friends, especially this time of the year!

Stay warm!

Benny
Benny

At least the one from Canada is priced right. $2.99 CDN or $2.29 USD starting price. Now only if they would say that it is a reproduction sign.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192070934064