News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Public Telephone Sign

Started by Ellen, February 28, 2009, 06:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellen

Here is a picture of Lena (Grandma) and the Carroll Hat factory girls on an Saturday outing in Newburgh, ca. 1915.  Grandma has the phone sign right over her head.  They are all wearing straw hats, probably seconds from work.  I like that long dark allee of trees on the left side of the picture - what is down there??  They would also go swimming in the Hudson River, wearing their ankle-length woolen swimming costumes, with their waist-length hair down.

I think I figured out how to make the scanner make a jpg.

bingster

Good job with the jpg, Ellen, I love old photos like this. 

I've been to Newburgh... Beautiful country up that way.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Ellen;
I have a sign just like the one in your photo. As I'm sure many others do also.
BTW, your Grandma is HOT!
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Ellen

Holé molé, Panther-Man.  What a concept!  But you are right, I just never (ever, ever!) thought of her that way.  Her father was a tailor, and her step-mom a seamstress and her grandad a dyer, so she knew how to dress.  And she knew hats.

O!M!G! as the young ones say!  I have been forgetting to tell you the story of her grandfather.  He was a German dyer, trained in Frankfurt in the late 1800's.  He came to New England (the land of pie-for-breakfast) around 1885 and worked in the mills, dying up a storm.  When telephones came into the mills, people were using them just for fun, just to see who they would get.  He kept getting called away from his work to answer the phone for no-one, and was tired of it, so he !! yanked the phone out of the wall and threw it out the window into the Merrimack River!!  Then stormed out to his boss and told him, "If you need to talk to me, send someone to get me and I'll come, but I won't have a telephone".

Here is a photo of a phone, me and Lena's daughter (Mom).  Do you like the wallpaper?

Dan/Panther

Ellen;
Maybe that sign was a premonition of things to come ?
Like they say, as far as your photo, you and your mom, the acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree...

Here is a photo of my Great-Grandmother, she was pure Cheyenne, 15 years old when she married my Great-Grandfather, in 1895, he died at age 48, she lived to be 64. Her father, was in the forced march from Oklahoma, fought at the Little Bighorn, who knows my Great-Great-Grandfather may have whacked Custer....
I always felt she was attractive even by todays standards.
Anyone else have photos of family relatives they think, Handsome, or attractive ?
D/P

Dennis Markham

Ellen and Dan, those are great photos.  Dan you are lucky to have a photograph of your great-grandmother...especially taken so long ago.  Her eyes are very intriguing.  They must have seen a lot during that time period in our nation's history.

Ellen

Thank you so much for that picture, Dan-Pan.  Makes me sniffly.  What is her name?  I like her eyes.

Dan/Panther

Her birth name, being Cheyenne, is lost, but her legal name was Fannella Irons Stevens, Irons was her family name.
The eyes are what gets me also.
They look right through you almost.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Ellen;
When was that photo taken of you and your Mom, it looks maybe early 60's.
D/P

Ellen

Dennis Markham

There's a calendar right there in the picture.  One of you photo guys, enhance that so we can tell the age.  Those sure like like eye glasses circa 1964.

Ellen

Even with my magnifier I can't make out any of the characters (except you two, Dan & Den).  No, I mean on the calendar in the original photo.  I don't know how Mom got that splotch of spaghetti sauce on her forehead.  It's on the surface of the photo.

Dan/Panther

Everyone...The date on the calender is 1965...That means Ellen is now....ageless.
D/P

Ellen

Baloney.  I don't believe you could see any numbers on that calendar.  You are just making that up. 

Hey, how do like that telephish in the river story??  I mixed up the man a bit.  It was her father-in-law, one generation younger than I said.  His name was Freiderich.

McHeath

These are all great pictures and ya'll are lucky to have them. 

As for attractive people in my family, well here is a current picture of me: